Chances that SSD can be upgraded on new 13" RMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Mar 9, 2015.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Given the disappointment of the new Macbooks (basically a crippled more expensive Air with a better screen) I'm in the market for a 13.3". What are the chances that the SSD's in these can be upgraded to 1 TB after purchase?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Extremely minimal unless you can find one through OWC or something. The blade SSD is a proprietary shape and connection. If you need 1TB, you need to pay for the initial upgrade or buy an external drive.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The blade PCIe first came in mid-2013.

It's almost 2 years already. Nobody makes upgrades for it because it's a proprietary Apple form factor, and I guess Apple threatened to sue anyone who made such upgrades.

But then, you should not expect upgradeability in the first place. Thinness is also why the RAM has to be soldered. In fact, I'm actually comfortable with less upgradeability, because chances of breaking something are higher when you try to do upgrades yourself.

4. Attero87 macrumors newbie

OWC posted on there blog today that they aim to bring ssd upgrades to all MacBooks. So I guess there's a chance in the near future

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You can find upgrades for the early 2013 and older rMBP.
    It's the late 2013 and newer ones that aren't upgradeable.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They also said that a long time ago....