Change a block size on HFS partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CheesusRise, Mar 18, 2009.

1. CheesusRise macrumors newbie

Is it possible to change a block size? I have a RAID 0 partition dedicated to video capture. Having blocks larger than the default 4KB would benefit performance.

Could not find any options in neither Disk Utility nor Terminal’s diskutil command.

Thank you

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You certainly can't change the size without reformatting. If you decide to go that way this thread might be useful to you...

3. CheesusRise thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew I’d have to reformat, that’s not a big deal. Thank you very much for pointing me in a right direction.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Let us know how you get on. I wasn't able to find any reference to people using this to get >4Kb blocksizes, rather to get smaller block sizes. I'm not actually sure bigger ones are supported...

5. CheesusRise thread starter macrumors newbie

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Who told you that?

7. CheesusRise thread starter macrumors newbie

Less overhead, more data can be read from a single block. In the past, I ran performance results on Oracle Databases and played with block size on Solaris. I saw difference in throughputs. Especially on large files. And the video captures - the intended purpose of a partition I am creating - are large files.