Change a Macbook Pro with a new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by japileggi, Feb 19, 2016.

1. japileggi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have a Macbook Pro 13-inch (Late 2011) with the following features: 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 750 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB RAM. And I would like to know if it is a good idea to change this Macbook Pro by a current one or maybe change it with a Macbook Air because the Macbook Air is comfortable with the weight. I already have an iMac 27-inch with a 1 TB Hard Drive, 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor. So I don't know if I should change my Macbook or just wait for something better, please leave me your opinion below, thanks :)

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

I have a similar question and am also wondering if I should upgrade my Late-2011 13" Macbook Pro i5 2.3 Ghz. 16GB with a 512 GB SSD. I would like the better screen of the current units.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 2015 models are great.

What do you use your MBP for? Is there anything that your current model can't do that you need it to?

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

If you're happy with your current machine, wait for the redesign. Definitely don't buy the Air now, it's still non-retina with ugly bezels.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your current mac is problem free, I'd hold out until Apple updates it computer line - hopefully this spring.

6. Gesturthor macrumors member

I would wait for the new models coming this year, If you cannot wait then you should try to get a refurbished model or try to get a store discount (just ask them in store), i got 5% off my MBPr because i paid with debit.
    I recommend the Macbook Pro retina over the Macbook Air because:
    Price: The difference between the 13 inch MBA and the Base model of MBPR is only 100$.
    Screen: The MBA has a 1440*900 and the MBPR has a 2560*1600. The retina screen is gorgeous and bright. I do not have any experience with the MBA screen.
    Weight: The MBA is 2.96 Pounds and the MBPR is 3.48 Pounds its only 0.52 Pound difference and in my opinion not noticeable.
    Ram: MBA has 4gb of ram vs the MBPR that has 8gb of ram, of course you can upgrade the ram but then the computers cost the same.
    Processor: MBA has a 1.6 dual core i5 broadwell and the MBPR has a 2,7 dual core i5 broadwell.
    Battery: MBA is 12 hours according to apple, MBPR is 10 hours according to apple.

conclusion: The difference in price and weight is small, but you gain a better screen and more ram (futureproof).

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since you never mentioned what you use a computer for, any recommendation made here is a useless stab in the dark.