change a windows keyboard key input to imac 'options'

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lewisweekly, Jan 21, 2014.

1. lewisweekly, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

lewisweekly macrumors regular

So, iv'e just installed and am now dual-booting ubuntu and mac os x snow leopard. The problem that i'm having is that I sometimes want to change between the two. Normally on an apple keyboard you would just hold the 'option' (alt) key and it shows all bootable drives. But on my bluetooth keyboard I cant get this to work. Its a complete pain having to plug in my apple keyboard every time I wish to switch between the two. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way of which you can change the windows key inputs or even a piece of software that allows me to boot into the other, from inside one of them. (If that makes sense). Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Regards, Lewis W

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you using an Apple-brand bluetooth keyboard?
    Or, is it a bluetooth Windows keyboard (with a windows logo key next to the alt key)?
    If a Windows bluetooth, the built-in bluetooth card should pick it up at boot. Have you tried the Windows logo key, instead of the alt key?

If you are NOT using the built-in bluetooth card, but are using a USB bluetooth dongle, then you might not get that to work (because the USB drivers don't pick up the dongle that early in the boot process)

Best to use an Apple-brand bluetooth keyboard, or always use a wired keyboard.

3. lewisweekly thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the fast response - I am using a windows bluetooth keyboard which requires a dongle... I guess that would be the reason to it not working. I have also tried the windows key as suggested with no luck. Do you know of any way to change these inputs, or any software that will allow me to boot into linux from mac os x?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you connect with the built-in bluetooth on your iMac?
    Be sure to remove that dongle.

Go to your System Preferences, then Bluetooth pane.
    Click the (+) on the lower left, to start up the Bluetooth setup assistant.
    Follow the directions to try pairing with your keyboard.

If that doesn't work - exactly which keyboard do you have?
    Is it actually bluetooth, or just "wireless", which would be RF, (and not bluetooth at all)?

5. lewisweekly thread starter macrumors regular

unfortunately not, doesn't seem to pick it up. Must simply be a wireless one then.

----------

I cant seem to get this software to work, it installs but I cant find the program? I've also tried keyremap4macbook with no avail.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

DoubleCommand, when installed, will be available as a pane in your System Preferences.

7. lewisweekly thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion but I cant seem to get this to work either, shame, looks like I need to invest in an apple bluetooth keyboard... Thanks anyways.

8. lewisweekly thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks you for all your suggestions but I have just stumbled upon 'REFIT' which suits my needs perfectly.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The iMac standard keyboard for the last several years has been the bluetooth keyboard - but not everyone likes that keyboard - it doesn't have a keypad, for example.
    I also would not be sure that ubuntu will pick up that bluetooth keyboard (I don't know), but you can fix that issues by using a wired USB keyboard - and can be an inexpensive windows keyboard, if you prefer - no requirement for that to be an Apple-brand. No more "swap your keyboard again" annoyances. (just my opinion)