Change Admin account on 2nd hand MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bnet5, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Bnet5 macrumors newbie

I bought a PowerBook G4 second hand. The seller did a new install of Leopard but I can not figure out how to get the main account to change to my name and my password. I have wandered every where in the Apple site and on this site to figure out how to make this computer "mine" with my name and password not a secondary account. Usually there is some type of "set up assistant" to help but none appears. Can anyone help me?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Bnet5 thread starter macrumors newbie

...or created a new admin accout...how

I did a reinstall but still ended up at the beginning. Still back to the last owners admin account name. You mention I should erase and reinstall OR set up a new admin account then delete the old one. How? I went the suggest link you provided and watch the videos but that only tells me how to set up accounts for other people using my computer. How do I create a "new" admin account before I got back and do the "erase and reinstall" option you mentioned. Thanks for your help.

4. simsaladimbamba

I hope this is not too condescending, but I currently like making screen recordings.
    It's a 5MB .mp4 file with a length of 73 seconds showing you how to create a new admin account and fully deleting the old admin account.

5. msevild macrumors regular

Well if I am assuming correctly he does not know the password for the account so the video will not be of any help...When booted to the install disc there is a utility(under the utilities menu) to reset password. From there you can click on the hard drive and select the user account you want to change the password for and then be able to either create a second admin account and delete the original or then be able to change the name of the first account...since you will now know what the password is.