Change administrator username?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by untypoed, Apr 30, 2011.

1. untypoed macrumors member

untypoed

I'm using the account root on Mac OSX Leopard.. When I sign in, I have to type "root" as the username. Ichat and Adium display my name as "System Administrator".
    BUT, I went to Accounts and changed both the Computer name and Account name.. to Joey. So why can't I sign in as "Joey", and why doesn't Ichat and Adium show my username as "Joey"?

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Why are you running these apps as root anyway? You shouldn't be using the sysadmin password for daily use.

3. untypoed thread starter macrumors member

untypoed

I just like the idea of being Administrator. Is it bad? I don't have another username, as I wanted to use the root as my only account.
    Should I just make a new username?

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes. You have access power to delete anything - and also you're leaving the system open to virus or trojan attack, as anything run as you can delete/modify anything.

In addition, any of the files you create will be accessible by root only, so going to another user ID may be a problem.

Well, you don't actually want to be root, do you? You said you wanted to be 'Joey'

Yes.

You might have long term problems with your existing files / apps though (since they're owned as root). If you do, then a full wipe/reinstall may be necessary.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Such a terrible idea.

The root home folder isn't even in the standard location. Stop what you are doing.

Create an admin account and use it, not root.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1. Just backup, format, reinstall OSX and restore, then create a real username.

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

+1 from me also. Way back in the day when I was running my first DEC VMS system (where I was the only user), an experienced friend told me: "Don't confuse SYSTEM with power or authority or being cool. Think of SYSTEM as the account that gives you the authority to make truly disastrous mistakes. Use it only when you have to."

Great advice, OP. When you do something dumb with a user account (and who hasn't?) you don't harm your system.