Change app icons on iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nghia Nguyen, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Nghia Nguyen macrumors member

Nghia Nguyen

Is there any possible way to change existing app icons on an iPhone? I tried googling but couldn't find any solution for Mac users. And does it have to involve with Cydia and stuff?

Thanks.

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

FW?
    on 3.x applications are in /var/stash/applications.xxx & var/mobile/applications

replace either the icon.pnp or application.png in the application.app dir.

The method is not platform specific.

Alternatively you could just use winterboard

3. Nghia Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

Nghia Nguyen

I'm on 4.0 fw.
    Can you please put it into more details please?

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

I am unsure of 4.0 file locations.
    I believe the system now uses a single encrypted package for app icons, which, if you would want to edit, you would have to decrypt, unpack, edit and repack.
    Winterboard from cydia is probably a much more viable option until hackers have worked out more.

5. andy071202 macrumors member

Is winterboard stable for 4.0

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can change the application icons by simply replacing the icon.png file in the application's folder. Unfortunately, the application can be hard to locate because they are in strangely-named paths like this one:

/var/mobile/Applications/0D93CEFE-F762-4943-A198-17892FEFB7BA/SolFree.app/icon.png

There are a couple of easier ways to locate the particular folder you need. iFile will display the app name above the long hex string, making it easier to browse to the correct folder. If you prefer SSH, you can first use an app called AppLinks from Cydia, which will create links to your apps in the folder /var/mobile/AppLinks.

7. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I created a "Themed icons" folder. Dragged it into the "themes" folder thru SSH. Turned it "on" with Winterboard, resprung and saw the new icons displayed.