Change app store downloaded icons?? WB not working

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mz100, Jul 22, 2011.

1. mz100 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I have researched and researched and researched and cannot find a solution to my problem so here it goes, I will put everything as simple as i can.

OK, I have an iPhone 4
    4.1 Jailbroken

I have cydia and winterboard installed

I have instatlled themes and changed icons on the homescreen before.
    However I have never changed an icon of an app that I have downloaded from the app store.

The app is called pocket informant.

I have tried creating folders and naming them correctly and putting them in the themes folder in winterboard but the icon doesn't change to my desired .png

I have WINSCP and searched and found the application folder which contains all of the downloaded app store apps, I found the correct app and replaced all of the default icons with the the custom .png that i wanted and resprung my phone and restarted it and the damn icon will not change.

FOR EXAMPLE
    When normally changing a theme:
    the stocks app in an a theme bundle would be labelled
    com.apple.stocks
    so for a custom app to work
    i think you have to find the name of the company or creator of app.
    I did some research and found that "pocket informant"

http://www.webis.net/

is created by Webis

So i put com.webis.infomant and replaced the icon in that folder and it did not change.
    I changed it to com.Webis.informant also to accomidate the capitalized W
    nothing worked.

If anyone can post step by step instructions that will for sure work please help.
    thanks,

2. jjk454ss, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

When you are in this location, in the xxx.app folder, open the info.plist. This will give you the bundle id and the icon name. It will look like this:

<array>
    <string>icon.png</string>
    <string>icon-114.png</string>
    </array>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.syntheticcorp.hipstamatic</string>

Looking here, http://iphone.xengi.net/cfbundleidentifier/index2.php , it looks like the icon might be pi_icon.png or pi_icon@2x.png. The only thing I find for the bundled is pocketinformant which is probably not complete/correct.

Also, make sure you put this in your theme in the right place:

private/var/stash/themes.xxx/(Your Theme)/bundles/(pocketinformantbundleid)/

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Also, consider downloading AppInfo from Cydia. It's free, and it will correctly identify the CFBundleIdentifier. Guessing at those is a surefire way to get frustrated.

It also will often be able to tell you the icon name as well.

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I really need to just get this already:roll eyes:.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I put it off for three months. There's already too much on my phone, blah blah blah. It would have been HUGELY helpful while theming with Glasklart, that's for sure, even if it had only found a third of the info I needed! LOL

6. mz100 thread starter macrumors regular

well it took a total of 4 hours but I finally figured it out!

My internet is usually running great but for some reason I was getting .25 mbps so transfering files from my iPhone to PC using WINSCP took forever.

I literally tried every possible way of renaming/resizing each photo and searched the web for hours.

Everytime i would respring, slide to unlock and nothing changed.

I finally was about to give up and used iPhone explorer to try and change the default photo and sure enough it worked!!!

I have no idea how it worked but it did.

I replaced the exact photo with WINSCP and for some reason it would not show the full custom icon, it showed the little icon with a black box around it.

Anyways thanks for all the help.

I guess the moral of the story is always try the most easy, basic way first lol