Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camellourbano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Lima, Perú
Some help please. Just got a new iPhone 5c. I misspelled my Apple account name and entered it. Now in order to change it, the phone asks me for the password of an account that doesn't exist and I can't figure out haw to get around that. Maybe it's something I've overlooked. I've been a mac person for 20+ years and this is my second iPhone so the systems aren't unfamiliar to me but this one's got me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you mean the email account for your Apple ID?

If so, go to Apple's site for Apple ID, login under the mispelled version and change it to the correct version there.

You should be able to login after that on your phone.

camellourbano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Lima, Perú
So, that didn't work. Never got the confirm message. Tried to setup an e´mail account with the misspelled name and is appears that it's being used! Now I've got an even more urgent need to change this.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah bummer. So someone else is getting your confirmation emails. You'll probably have to call Apple then and ask them to change it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even if the account doesn't exist (or you don't own it) can't you still login with the password you created for it when you set it up?

camellourbano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Lima, Perú
Thing is, it's only on my phone's memory. All my other stuff (I've got two MacBook Pros and another iPhone) is fine. I just can't seem to get into the phone's memory to erase it or change it. As I said, my account is fine, it's the phone that's giving me problems. Is it possible to initialize toe phone. I'd have to setup everything else again but that doesn't seem like much now.

camellourbano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Lima, Perú
That's the thing. In order to sign out, it asks for a password to an account that doesn't exist and won't let me type in my real account name.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's the thing. In order to sign out, it asks for a password to an account that doesn't exist and won't let me type in my real account name.
I guess to disable Find My iPhone. I still don't understand why the password you created doesn't work--it doesn't really matter whether the email account exists or not, if you signed in with that account and password, you should be able to use the same password to sign out.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Problem solved (kinda). Did a hard factory reset. (Instructions found on YouTube). Thanks to all for the help.
If you are talking about DFU or recovery mode to restore, wouldn't Activation Lock come on afterward still asking for the same password?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.