Change Apple ID, backup app data

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Suffa, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Suffa macrumors member

I'm not sure what's going to happen but anyway i want to create a new Apple ID on my iPhone and bring everything with me.

I'm currently not using iCloud, but i will with my new ID but my worry is that all app-data will disappear on my phone when I change the ID.

Can't i just create a new ID, connect it to iCloud and then backup everything on my phone to the iCloud account and then it's fine, nothing changes?

I'm not using iTunes at all, everything goes via my iPhone 5.

Is this even a problem? I mean should you be able to create a new Apple ID and bring all apps and data with you? Or will everything disappear when i try to change the ID on the phone?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't transfer your purchases between Apple ID accounts, and you can't merge accounts. If you want the apps you've purchased to appear on your iPhone, use the same Apple ID that was used to buy them.

3. Suffa thread starter macrumors member

So what happens if I create a new ID on the phone and then login with it, will all apps suddenly disappear?

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Well if there is an update it will ask u to log in with ur old account that u downloaded it with....

5. Suffa thread starter macrumors member

So no way to change your ID without problems?

6. GGJstudios, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't change to a new Apple ID if you've already made purchases using your old one, as those purchases won't be reflected on the new Apple ID. You can, however, change the email address used for your Apple ID without such issues.

Apple ID: Changing your Apple ID

7. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Why do you want to change your ID? New email address? You can always sign on to the Apple ID website and change the user name (email address).

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Keep an iTunes account (your old one) and a new personal icloud account.

9. Suffa thread starter macrumors member

I shared account for a while with somebody and want to create my own now so i can manage it by myself, but it seems difficult.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

One way to do it, is to connect the device with something like PhoneView, and then go into every app, and pull the data files out. Download the same apps with your new ID, and then replace the data files/folder with the previous ones.

Probably could do it with a free program too.