Change Apple ID email address

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Nermal, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change the email address associated with my Apple ID. I go to https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage and click Edit, then click Edit Email Address. I enter the new address and click Continue, then I just get a little blue "spinner" that seems to sit there for eternity (I waited 2-3 minutes with no change).

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I've waited a couple of days and retried in case it was a temporary glitch, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Safari 10.0.3 on 10.12.3.

2. colburnr macrumors regular

colburnr

I was having the same problem Nermal...I called Apple and apparently they were doing some maintenance. Give it a try now and see what happens. I was able to change mine...

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No luck, I'm afraid. It's still just sitting there forever.

I'm at work now (Firefox on Windows) so I know that it's not my browser or connection.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I managed to get this working. Apparently you can't set your Apple ID to use your Apple email address; it'll just sit there forever.

To clarify, my Apple ID's primary address was set to a third-party account that I'm cancelling soon. I tried to change it to my @me.com address so that everything's self-contained. That failed.

I had to create a Gmail account and set it to that (and was also able to configure Gmail to forward messages to my @me.com address so I'll still get account notices). A roundabout solution, but it worked!

5. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

yeah this is an odd yet frustrating thing. Most of apple services require NON-Apple related accounts....which sort of defeats some of the contained eco-system. I guess parts of it makes sense but not at the same time. There was a way to remove secondary email accounts and just have your @me/@icloud instead but it seems they are not available.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It'd be nice if it actually told you that instead of just freezing though!

7. steve23094, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

It drives me nuts that I have to keep an unused email address as my AppleID, and yet if you create an account now you can use an @icloud

It defies logic why Apple hasn't made any effort to change this.

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The worst thing is that it doesn't seem to be possible to set your iCloud account as "primary", and therefore things like iTunes receipts go to the otherwise-unused address.

In any case, I'm happy enough now - plus I'm saving $180/year by cancelling some old hosting that I'd ended up only using for email (the price had more than doubled over the past decade...)

9. Daranx macrumors regular

Daranx

I think the issue is that iCloud.com and me.com email addresses are also treated like apple IDs so it would be impossible to merge that with your existing Apple account.

I recently stopped using gmail and switched to a new iCloud.com address. I had to transfer everything to my new iCloud account from the one associated with the gmail account, which took foooorrrreeever. Would love it if Apple found a way to merge Apple IDs.