Change applications name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brendon Bauer, May 14, 2007.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Hi, I don't know much about programming applications and such, but I'd like to know how to change the name of an application so that it shows up as the new name in the dock AND in the menu bar. By changing the name in the info.plist I can make it so it's different in the dock, but in the menu bar it shows up as the old name. I want to do this because I have a modified version of Firefox, and the author couldn't label it as firefox because that is copyrighted of course. I just want mine to look like a normal firefox :). The modified version is called BonEcho I believe. It's just a build thats aimed at Intel users.

I have an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16Ghz 2GB Ram, 250GB HD running OS X 10.4.9.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

To change the name in the menubar, you'd either need to open the app with InterfaceBuilder or you'd need access to the source code.

To change it in the Dock, you'll just need to rename the app and re-drag it to the Dock.

3. yagran macrumors 6502a

i have bonecho too and i managed to change the name back to firefox quite easily with interface builder, erm i got my modified app here if youd like me to package and send? ( also its not an optimized build it an alpha of ff2)

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hmm...wasn't Bon Echo the project name for the pre-release candidates of Firefox 2.0? It what ways does it differ from the current release?

5. yagran macrumors 6502a

i find that this version always ran best on my mac, as i had quite a few crashes on ff2 when it was released so i dropped back to bonEcho

6. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Does InterfaceBuilder cost money, or can I find that for free? And would I need to be pretty familiar with it to change the name, or is it very basic? I would like your packaged version, but I'm trying to change the one optimized for Intel (whatever that means). It's probably no different from ff2... anyone know anything about that? Maybe I should just stick with ff2 if being 'optimized' really isn't all that special. I was just interested when it said it was optimized for Intel :D. Thanks for the fast replies!

7. yagran macrumors 6502a

interface builder is indeed free and is included in xcode tools, which can be downloaded using a free basic developers account from apple. source code can be downloaded from firefox site, i cant find that app after all sorry, so have fun! :D

8. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

The Developer Tools come on a CD with every new Mac, and you can install them from there. No developer’s account or download needed, although you may need an account to download the latest upgrades. However, Interface Builder will install just fine from this CD…