Change Aspect Ratio .m4v file

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PluueeR, Oct 1, 2008.

1. PluueeR macrumors newbie

Is there a way (preferably free) to change the aspect ratio of a .m4v HandBrake output file? I converted a anamorphic DVD and the aspect ratio is wrong in de .m4v file. Is this something I can change afterwards? HandBrake is displaying the wrong aspect ratio as well.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't believe that MPEG-4 uses an aspect "flag" like MPEG-2 does; I think that it always uses square pixels. With any luck someone can correct me, but that matches with my experiences in the past.

3. Volante macrumors regular

Only way I know is to use Quicktime Pro, and save it as a .mov.

4. PluueeR thread starter macrumors newbie

The origin of the problem is with Handbrake which guesses the aspect ratio wrong.

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

If this is the case, I'd just take the time to re-encode the file (since you report it works with the new developer snapshot on the HB forum).

Also, I see that you were using a SVN on the original encode. Little things like that happen sometimes in development code, use at your own risk!

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Is the aspect ratio ok if you just play the DVD on the computer?

In the few cases I've encountered where the aspect ratio's wrong in Handbrake, I've discovered the discs to be recorded in 4:3 with 16:9 squeezed into them and not valid anamorphic discs.

Anyway, as NightStorm said, just re-encode the file.