change aspect ration video

Lizziejh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
I have been sent a video, but it appears stretched, how do I change the aspect ration on my iPhone, iPad or Macbook Pro please?

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2015
random
I have been sent a video, but it appears stretched, how do I change the aspect ration on my iPhone, iPad or Macbook Pro please?
You could use HandBrake to resize it to the correct (or estimated) dimensions. Maybe post an obvious screen grab and the the technical info shown in QuickTime (or better MediaInfo - App Store).
But know, that HandBrake only puts out compressed video (H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC).

Lizziejh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Thank you for replying. I attach a screenshot. I have handbrake, but I don't have the expertise to change the video. Any tips would be very gratefully received
[doublepost=1550234025][/doublepost] Untitled.png

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Did the originator edit the video? There is a "stretch to fit", "cut and pan", etc setting that can stretch clips as you place them on a custom time line (a time line/project with properties that doesn't match the source video). You want to turn that off. (in the crop tool perhaps).

Otherwise FCPX gives you a transform tool that can scale x and y independently. Dunno what other tools provide this, look for one that does more than zoom, you want to be able to scale.

Lizziejh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2016
UK
Did the originator edit the video? There is a "stretch to fit", "cut and pan", etc setting that can stretch clips as you place them on a custom time line (a time line/project with properties that doesn't match the source video). You want to turn that off. (in the crop tool perhaps).

Otherwise FCPX gives you a transform tool that can scale x and y independently. Dunno what other tools provide this, look for one that does more than zoom, you want to be able to scale.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.