Change carrier logo.png using iFile?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aelalfy, Aug 31, 2010.

1. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi

I was wondering if it's possible to change the carrier logo on the top left (status bar) with a cool colored one that has a logo. I'm with Rogers from Canada and would like to change it using ifile or simiiar. I won't have access to a computer for a while and therefore would like to do it manually on my phone.

I don't have winterboard installed and don't plan to because I don't think it's necessary. How can I get the files of the new logo? Can I use safari download manager in conjunction with ifile to do this?

Edit: so as I thought I can use safari download manager to direct the files to be saved in a certain location. I think I know where to save the files and the name of the files are

Would someone kindly enough assist me with getting these files. What I'm looking for is someone kind enough to download the theme for Rogers logo on cydia SSH into their phone and get the two .png files, save them on drop box or something and give me a link that I can use with safari manager and save it in the right spot.

I would like to thank whoever has the time in advance and really appreciate it

Thanks
    AE

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

3. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi sir,

I really appreciate this, this is soo cool. I'm pretty sure these are the files. I'll download them and check right away.

So I updated the files but no change, I looked deeper and found a .plist that references to those images, and says <string>Rogers</string>

Does that overwrite the image with a string?

Thanks again :)
    AE

4. coasterswim macrumors 6502

You need to replace the same-named files in:
    /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/Rogers_ca.bundle/

But make sure you back up the existing files first!

5. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi

That's exactly what I did. The names match the old names of the files. But still no change to the logos? I'm surprised too for some reason. I don't have makeitmine on right now. Could it be that it just being installed can cause an overwrite?

Thanks
    AE

6. coasterswim macrumors 6502

You shouldn't need anything else, did you re-spring?

7. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I resprung, no change for some reason. I don't see why.

Thanks
    AE

8. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

You have make it mine still installed on your phone? And I'm assuming you used it at some point? According to some other forums makeitmine could be the culprit. It could be redirecting what carrier logo is read and how it is read. Others on other forums say they fixed their problem by going into makeitmine and have it restore the default carrier logo.

9. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have makeitmine installed but I went on it and made it restore to default logo, so i'll remove it and see what happens.

So I uninstalled it and still no effect. It's weird, I even deleted the original files from that location and leaving the new ones I got from the link above.

I don't understand why it's not changing.

Thanks
    AE

10. ddisoul macrumors newbie

i tried to do the same thing and i dont have make it mine installed and it doesnt work ...there something missing here...

11. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea there is something missing. I also uninstalled makeitmine and no change either. I think it has to do with the carrier.plist file

Thanks
    AE

12. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Also I'm not sure how rogers works exactly, if it is a carrier and it's own operator or if Rogers has a different underlying operator, but I found this interesting...

/private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundle.bundle
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Operator Bundle.bundle

Those above two directories are links to the currently active Carrier and Operator bundles, they should be pointing to your Rogers ca Carrier bundles. So check those links and make sure those point to the correct bundles. If not then replace the png files in those linked directories with your images, naming them appropriately for whatever bundle they are.

Also I would check your permissions for your pngs that you copied.

I'm sort of out of ideas now.

13. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lets start with permissions please. I'm using iFile so I cant see "722" or whatever the right permission are. Can you tell me read write execute kind of of talk.

There are 3 categories,

User - right now set as read, write by ifile
    Group - read
    World - read

Should I set everything to read,write and execute?

Also when I go into library/Operator Bundle.bundle On iFile it takes me back to Rogers bundle so yea it's linked right.

So maybe it's permissions?

Thanks in advance
    AE

14. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I checked my defaults and yours is sadly correct.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1.3K May 15 2009 FSO_CARRIER_ROGERS.png

I'm really not sure what the problem is here.

15. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That So frustrating, anyways I don't want to bother you guys any longer with this. This doesn't add up at all though

If anyone can help though, let me know.

Thanks
    AE

16. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

place them in var/mobile/library/carrier bundle.bundle

Also make sure you add @2x.png in the filename for it to work..

But the icons up there are a bit small.. so i recommend finding a better size one

17. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

18. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to those who brought this back to life. Because of someones post I was able to change my logo finally. I just had to add the @2x which of course I didn't think of at the time.

I still feel that the images I got from the poster above me are small, is it how its suppose to be?

Thanks
    AE

19. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Try setting it to 150x38. I tried it with one that had Rogers Wireless wasnt too bad but it moved the Wifi signal too far over to the clock and i didnt like that.

That one i posted looks pretty good i think not too bad.. Unless you can find a good size to use. Its just the Font that small i believe.

20. aelalfy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey yea I'll probably try that, see what happens.

Thanks for the advice,
    AE

21. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

The 150x38 seemed a bit boxy.. and ugly on the retina display. But that was also for a different icon.. not the one i provided the link to.

Let me know how it looks! Id say try editing the font/size that should do the trick and keeping it at 72x20.