Change data carriers on iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eimeria, Jun 25, 2015.

1. eimeria macrumors member

I have an iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi + cellular that I bought directly from Apple. I activated T-Mobile cellular data service on a month to month pre-paid data plan. I'm traveling to a location what T-Mobile service is bad so I wanted to switch carriers. My understanding of the Apple SIM in these iPads was that were not locked to a carrier after being activated and you could switch carriers at will unless you choose ATT who locks the sim to them.

I can't figure out how to activate service on another provider with this SIM. I only can reactivate T-Mobile service. I thought T-Mobile was not locking the sim once used with them. Does anyone know if you can change from T-Mobile to another carrier without replacing the sim? I called T-Mobile and they were completely useless.

2. passivecool Suspended

I assume you're trying to switch to Sprint. What happens when you try?

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I would think you'd be able to take the iPad to the carrier you wish to switch to and let them handle it. As long as the SIM isn't locked there shouldn't be any problem changing carriers. I know that with the Air 2 you shouldn't have to specify which carrier at the time of purchase like other iPad generations.

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

On my iPad Air 2, with a T-Mobile plan active, I am able to go to Settings, Cellular Data, Add a New Plan. I then get a pop up that allows Sprint, T-Mobile, and GigSky (International) options.

5. eimeria thread starter macrumors member

I think my problem was that I had cancelled my T-mobile plan before selecting a new one. When I called Sprint, they wouldn't release the SIM card unless I paid some random 3rd party website to unlock my SIM. Instead, I just walked into an AT&T store, got a SIM for free and bought a month's worth of data.