change default browser

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xxcysxx, Jan 12, 2012.

1. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

hello folks,
    i've been using atomic browser for couple of days and i love it, i've already disable safari in the restriction tab to hide it away. now i want to make a further move by making atomic as the default browser so i can open local links with atomic. because when i have safari disable in the restriction tab, none of the local links in emails work because they all pointed to safari.

however, my iPhone (4s) is not jailbroken, and i plan to keep it that way, is there some other ways to do this? like for example modifying one of the plist file in the backup directory? just a thought. i have changed multitouch gesture on iPad 2, phone 3gs, and iPhone 4s and it worked fine. i have also configure tmobile sms settings by editing the plist and it work fine too. without jailbreak.
    i can pay a couple of bucks to get an app to get this feature satisfy if necessary.

the idea is to achieve the task without jailbreak

thanks folks

2. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I've looked around the Interwebs with the same idea in mind, but I didn't find anything. I don't know about going the plist route; perhaps that will work.

So to answer your question, no there is currently no way to make something other than Safari your default browser on an iOS device (without jailbreaking the device).

3. sk58781111 macrumors member

i couldn't agree more. i've tried virtually every browser for iphone and atomic is by far the best there is.

----------

steve jobs won't let us :(

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No way to do it, files that require modification are outside the userland, you don't have permission to overwrite those (unless you jailbreak). Safari is all you can get as default. enjoy it ;)

5. cbmstocks macrumors member

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Did you read the OP post at all?? :confused:

7. cbmstocks macrumors member

yeah? there's no way to change default browsers without jailbreaking. so i told op what works.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

He said he doesn't want to Jailbreak so you that is NO an option, anyways i was just wondering if you read it :rolleyes:

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If only this could be used with the new Google Chrome app. I emailed the dev asking if he plans to update it.

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Dolphin + Browser Changer for me. Couldn't be happier :)

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

But this is Google Chrome! I haven't used it much but it's great so far and being able to have websites sync between devices is awesome.

12. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I'm sure he will. That's a big name browser. He's added pretty much everything else so I'm sure he'll update the tweak. Fantastic tweak by the way!

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Reply from the dev:

"Submitted "Browser Changer" v1.8-2 to the BigBoss.
    Added support for Chrome, Photon, jigbrowser+, UC Browser, UC and UCHD."

Or you can add this repo and use BrowserChooser rpetri.ch/repo

14. ominx macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how to manually add a new browser to the list of 3rd party browsers listed in the tweaks BrowserChooser and/or Browser Changer? Each of these tweaks support a good number of 3rd party browsers, but neither support Maxthon for iPad.

I've tried editing mapping.plist (BrowserChooser) and BrowserList.plist (Browser Changer) to add the bundle identifier com.mx.MxBrowser-iPad and while url links will now launch the browser, the link is not loaded in the address bar.

15. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Back when I used Maxthon a lot I emailed Petrich to ask him to add it to his tweak, BrowserChooser. He simply told me to provide the URL scheme and he would gladly update the tweak for me. I couldn't locate the URL scheme so I emailed Maxthon support. At that time, which was about 8-9 months ago, Maxthon did not support URL schemes. But recently I read that Maxthon finally supports it now. I'm pretty sure that's why Browser Changer was recently updated to support Maxthon.

I don't own an iPad so I'm not up to speed but are you saying that Maxthon for the iPad still does not support URL schemes? Have you tried browser changer? Because in the changelog it says it was updated for Maxthon but it doesn't specify if its iPhone only.

Sorry I'm not really giving you any help. Basically saying that at one time I was looking for the same solution. And this was my experience.

If you find a solution please post it. Thanks!

16. ominx, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

ominx macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Browser Changer supports Maxthon for iPhone but the dev Tom-go hasn't added support for Maxthon for iPad. It works beautifully on the iPhone so I tried to simply edit whatever relevant files I could find to change the bundle to the iPad version. As I said, it loads but the link isn't added to the address bar. I plan to play around more this weekend and will update it if/when I figure it out.

Edit: any idea what the contact info is for the Dev Tom-go? Didn't see it on the repo page.

17. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

You can always email any dev from Cydia. Just find the package in Cydia, then tap on the second button called "Author", then tap on the button that says "Author" on the left and it has the dev's name on the right. In this case it'll say Tom-Go. Once you tap that, it'll open up a new email. Good luck. Let me know what you find out. Thanks!

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

jailbreak the phone it's harmless

19. ominx macrumors 6502

# Thanks. Sent a message. I will report back.

20. flyballmom macrumors newbie

I'm at a loss

Ok so first up I'm not a pro at this, just a mom that wants the most out of her jailbroken ipad/iphone so if I'm missing something and this is a stupid question then I'm sorry.

I've downloaded Browser Changer on both my devices. Installed and uninstalled a few times and still nothing. I've also emailed the Dev and haven't heard back. When I go to my App Settings and find Browser Changer I have everything selected as on. I go to change my default browser to the Photon browser I purchased and all of the browsers are listed but I can not select any of them. What am I doing wrong?

21. ominx macrumors 6502

If the browser name is greyed out and not selectable, it means Browser Changer doesn't recognize you have any supported browsers installed. If in fact you do, then the dev needs to update the tweak with the correct bundle name. You could do this yourself if you are comfortable editing the plist file for Browser Changer.

22. flyballmom macrumors newbie

Photon is definatly downloaded

I've been using Photon Browser all day, it is on the list, and I've reset the springboard but still no luck being able to select it. Where can I find instructions on how to update the plist file? I googled it and didn't find anything that sounded exactly right.

23. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Have you tried removing browser changer and installing BrowserChooser? I'm not sure it supports that browser but of not you might still be in luck. I emailed the dev a while back about adding a browser and he was all for adding it. Turned out though at that time the browser I wanted added didn't have the correct files for BrowserChooser to make it the default. That has since changed and he has added support.

It's worth a shot if browser changer isn't working.

24. absl8tly macrumors newbie

can you give me the email address for dev Tom-go?

i want to request him to add support for changing the default Mail app to Gmail (or Yahoo) in the same tweak, like he added Google Maps in place of Apple Maps.

since i don't use the Mail app anymore, the phone won't let me email him directly from cydia to ask him to add the function so that it lets me do that in the future

pretty much a catch-22 :D

but you when you guys email him, his address shows up in the 'to' field

pls let me know...