Change default email client?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Martin29, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

It used to be easy to change the default email client.

In IOS 10 I can see no way to do this. Am I missing something?

I can of course remove the apple mail app, and replace with something which suits my purposes better. But if I then use mailto: from a web site, IOS asks me to reinstall apple's mail client.

It seems to me, ridiculous that we can remove apple's mail client, but not replace it with something which does the job completely. On that basis, I assume I'm missing something? Can anyone help?

2. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

You have never ever been able to change default email client.
    Install and use...yes but if you press an email adress Apple´s own email clinet starts.

3. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

Thank you Lappen.

I'm beginning to get very frustrated with Apple. Surely if I pay to buy a device, I should at least be able to choose how to use it.

4. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

When you buy a device and first activate it you agree to use it at Apple´s terms.
    So no you cant choose.

5. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Not allowing the users to specify default email clients or browsers is one of iOS' biggest omissions.

Mail is fine, and does what I need it to do, but I can easily see how it doesn't meet the needs of some users.

I've always preferred something other than Safari on any platform, and having to work around its intrusion in iOS is a PITA.

Apple embodies the "Think Different" slogan even less now than when they actively used it in marketing.

Now, it's more like 1984, and the people in the audience are Apple's customers.

6. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

is it that hard to copy/paste the email u want to send an email to..?

god the "this is 2016 apple should this should that" intentional blow ups etc..

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

All of this is for the Mac, it has nothing to do with iOS.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I use the stock Mail app but I don't think this would be that big of a deal for me if I didn't. I'd have the stock Mail app setup with my accounts and just use it to send to the linked recipients on the rare occasions that occurs for me. Receiving, reading and normal composing would be done through the 3rd party app.

9. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

The really strange thing is that up to and including IOS 9, we could not remove the default mail app. It was, however, possible to nominate a different client as the default.

Now, we can delete the Apple app, but cannot nominate it's replacement as default.. Something just doesn't make sense!

Are we not grown up enough to be able to decide for ourselves what to use on our expensive devices, and how to use them?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

How exactly was it possible to set another app as a default one in iOS 9 and earlier?

11. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

No no no...you have never ever been able to do that. Stop repeating something thats not true.
    And FYI you don't delete the app you only hide it because the apps are so integrated into iOS its impossible.

12. willmtaylor, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It was never possible. It's how Apple does things. Move on or get over it.

Don't blame Apple for not performing your due diligence before investing. SMH.

13. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

It never was. Don't know what you've been smoking.

14. Daniel80 macrumors member

Daniel80

If you don't accept terms you can't use device that you pay. After that you must to remain on some update that is not good because APPLE don't let you to go back.
    Is ok ? NO

15. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

Yes it´s ok because YOU AGREED TO IT.
    If you dont agree you dont buy....very simple.

16. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

This is a huge omission by Apple, I personally don't mind since I love the default email app... I've tried many others but always keep going back. But I definitely think iOS 10 was a great opportunity for Apple to allow this with the ability to "hide" stock apps

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps something that Apple might decide to do in the future, but so far it isn't something that Apple has been supporting in iOS.

18. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

This really gets old, but I'll try anyway.

Yes, you're "grown up enough" to decide what to use on your device. And Apple is also "grown up enough" to write their software however they like. Don't like what they've written for the platform, vote with your wallet.

19. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Set same email accounts in both Mail and your app of choice. This way, everything works and you only see Mail when you're sharing (you can share with 3-rd party mail clients too, like Outlook).

Boom, done. Most of them even have Spotlight integration.

20. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

^Exactly. Just a little addition to that, which is step 1.

Step 1) Disable notifications in Mail, and store it in your "applesuxwhaaaawhycantwepickandchoosebooooo"-folder (some users here seem to have these).

Step 2) Use whatever mail app you wish in it's stead.

Yes, you still sometimes have to use the native mail app when clicking on a link or sharing for example (yes, I know, a positively horrendous user experience), but maybe this arrangement could go a little way toward not feeling that deep anguish over this issue.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can just "remove" the Mail app.

22. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

If you remove (hide) the Mail app then you won't be able to quickly send e-mails by clicking links in Safari or in other apps. So removing the app doesn't help much.

23. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

I want to thank those who have responded constructively here. Your views are welcomed and helpful, though the fact Apple obviously want to control how we use our expensive devices is still frustrating.

To those who have responded with unnecessary and rude comments, please don't waste your time. If you have nothing better to do, go and find something constructive elsewhere. For your information I have been using Apple products for far more years than I care to remember, and I need lectures from you folks even less than I need a large corporation telling me how to read my mails.

24. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

Clearly you do despite your long use of Apple product don't know how it works.

There is no company who tells you how to read your mail.
    You have many many different mail apps to choose from in AppStore.
    Maybe iPhone is not the device for you because clearly you want to modify functions and Android is the solution for you.

25. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Like others have said, it has never been possible to change default apps. How did you not know that through all these years of using Apple products?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.