change default export to still image?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by offwidafairies, May 18, 2011.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Hi,

Using FINAL CUT 7.0.2

I have done a google search and can't find out if this is possible.

Can you change the default Export/Quicktime Conversion?

I want to be able to export a still image quickly - with a shortcut key, without constantly going to the drop down menu. I have multiple still images to export.

Also, is there a setting that can give me the best quality still image? I have been exporting to PSD and then deinterlacing in photoshop.

Thanks!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I don't think there's actually a way to change the default QT Conversion export setting in FCP, unfortunately. But you can do a batch export so you can spit everything out at once:

1. For each desired still, set the playhead to the frame you want on the sequence and choose Modify --> Make Freeze Frame (Shift-N is the shortcut). The freeze frame will show up in the Viewer.

2. Click and hold anywhere in the Viewer's video area and drag to the Browser. This will create a subsequence with your frozen frame. You can rename this subsequence to identify better if you'd like. Don't worry about the duration and handles because we'll be exporting as still images in a bit. From an organizational standpoint, it might help you to put all these freeze frame subsequences into a dedicated bin in the Browser.

3. Once you have all the freeze frames you want in subsequences, select them and choose File --> Batch Export. A batch export window will appear.

4. Click the Settings button (middle button on the bottom). Set a destination and choose "Still Image" under the Format pull-down. Leave the Settings pull-down alone and click the "Options" button. Choose your desired image format (TIFF, JPEG, PNG, etc.), leave the Frames Per Second field blank and click OK.

5. Now, back in the Batch Export window, click the Export button. This will export the entire batch as still images.

To answer your other question, FCP doesn't have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to outputting still images through QT conversion. Essentially, it's outputting an image based on the parameters of the actual sequence. If you're working with interlaced video, it may help to deinterlace it first with Compressor and then bring it into FCP.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Another way to do it would be to place each frame you want to export in their own Sequence, then export as an Image Sequence.

-DH