Change Default Mail.app/Spotlight SORT ORDER?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chelsel, Aug 15, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I love the Spotlight search integration in Mail.app... but the default sort by 'rank' leaves a lot to be desired... is there any way to **change the default sort order** to date received?

It makes more sense to sort messages in a Mail program by date than virtually anything else, at least for me.

Cliff.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Erm....click the tab beside it that says "Date Received?"

3. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks... I'm aware of that... but I want the DEFAULT SORT ORDER to be configurable, or at least set to something intelligent besides Rank which is undefined and mostly incorrect for my needs.

DATE SORT is the only truly important sort for my purposes in a Mail application.

It's pretty idiotic to have to click "Date Received" EVERY SINGLE TIME I USE SEARCH IN MAIL...

Cliff.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Ah right sorry for the witty response - didn't realise Mail didn't save that view for future use!

That's a bit of a bummer - there must be some line of code you can add to the config file that keeps that setting (must be a line of code in the config file that decides that rank is the view to sort).

I'll look into it for you - I've recently ditched Entourage and started using Mail after I found a really good Hotmail plugin for it.

5. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you ever come up with a solution to the sorting problem? It's such a minor detail but it is exceedingly annoying that the default sort is 'rank'...

Cliff.