Change Dictionary Language in OS X 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DannyBres, Feb 3, 2008.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Can i change the dictionary in leopard to UK english?

for example in adium and safari colour shows as a spellin mistake as its wrong in america. can i change it?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Easy: Open any app that you can access the spelling and grammar window from. (For example, open TextEdit, then Edit-->Spelling and Grammer-->Open Spelling and Grammar.)

Select British English (or whatever) from the popup in the floating window. You're done--that setting should stick across applications and keep the spell checking in your preferred flavour of English.

Unless an application uses its own spelling dictionary for some reason, in which case this doesn't apply.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Can't believe there isn't a more obvious way of doing this. Thanks for posting though as I thought I was out of luck trying to change it!

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm not at my Mac right now (well.. I'm in Boot Camp... anyway..) but..

In Safari, if you right-click in a text box, you can change the setting from the spelling dialog. I THINK you might be able to do this in any OSX app that uses the standard text boxes, but can't try this out..

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ahh, indeed you can--looks like the spelling dialogue is available via the right-click menu even in apps that don't offer it as a menu item ordinarily. That's one I didn't know.

I do agree that this really should also be in the System preferences somewhere, though (if anything, it should probably be based on whatever language is at the top of your preference list, or what location you have set in the International panel).