Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
How can I change the Disk name?
Im not sure how this happened, and it annoys me....
It annoys me everytime i open disk utility
I would like to change the "Mavericks" disk name

I know how to change the "Yosemite" status disk name, but I want to change the Internal disk name

any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• name.jpg
    name.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 608

BollywooD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Hamburg
the name i want to change is not the displayed disk name. but the actual disk name. sorry this probably isn't very clear.

I must have changed it somehow when I was testing Yosemite under Mavericks on a separate partition.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I found the answer!
its very simple really:

diskutil cs rename "OldName" newVolumeGroupName

I found the answer here:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/74104/how-can-i-rename-a-logical-volume-group
I've got the same issue. Disk Utility shows 'Yosemite' for both the LVG and the main drive/partition and I would like to change my SSD's LVG name back to the original name (which was something like 'Samsung 850 Pro SSD'). So, here's a stupid question... If the current LVG name is 'Yosemite' and I want to change it to 'Samsung 850 Pro SSD', would I past in the following command line as is?

diskutil cs rename "Yosemite" Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Thanks!

tumas

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
If the current LVG name is 'Yosemite' and I want to change it to 'Samsung 850 Pro SSD', would I past in the following command line as is?

diskutil cs rename "Yosemite" Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Thanks!

Yes, but i would put it like
diskutil cs rename "Yosemite" "Samsung 850 Pro SSD"
just to be safe with the spaces.

I issued the very same command just a few days ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.