Change display order of contact numbers for a contact

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cattywampus_, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Hi,

Some of my contacts have 4 numbers. 1 Mobile, 1 Work and 2 Home

No matter what I seem to do it just wants to order them itself. I put all my numbers in through the address book on my Mac. In there I did it like

Mobile : xxxxxx
    Home : xxxxx
    Home : xxxxx
    Work : xxxxx

When I then sync to iPhone, it puts them in a stupid order

Mobile
    Home
    Work
    Home

I don't want it like this. Is there anyway to re-order them on the phone without deleting them and inputting them into the phone itself in the right order?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

other than deleting them then adding them again in order i dont know how to do this on the iPhone. In address book prefs you can set the default order (and fields) for new cards, though i dont know if this effects existing contacts.

3. Kurt871 macrumors member

I was going to post a new topic about this, but on searching I found this old one. Since a solution wasn't really given, I thought I'd chime in that I'm having the same issue. In Address Book, my contacts info has the format:

Home
    Mobile
    Work
    Other

But when it syncs the iPhone, it puts it in a seemingly random order, usually not the same as it is on the computer. For example, that same contact on the iPhone might look like:

Mobile
    Work
    Home
    Other

This is really annoying and inconsistent; anybody have any ideas on a fix?

4. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

It used to drive me nuts on my ipod touch, and I never found a cure, this was syncing via windows/outlook.
    I no longer have that problem with my iPhone 3G as I now sync via MobileMe. I did have to initially delete and re-order them directly on my phone at first, but it now sticks to the way I want them.
    I know this isn't helpful if you don't have MobileMe, but maybe some will find it beneficial to know. Good luck.

5. Kurt871 macrumors member

Since I don't use MobileMe, as you said, not a huge help for me.. thanks for the reply though, as you said it might be helpful for someone. Hopefully there's a cure out there somewhere. Between this and the iCal calendar color sync issue, I'm beginning to think Apple focused solely on MobileMe support rather than traditional iTunes syncing :/

6. Kurt871 macrumors member

Unfortunately, I can confirm that this bug (along with the iCal color-syncing bug) was NOT fixed in the 2.0.1 update. Fingers crossed for 2.0.2 or 2.1 or whatever update is next.

:(

7. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Shouldn't that be configurable as
    C
    O
    D

or

D
    O
    C

&etc :D

Seriously - if that's how the OP wants it then why shouldn't it be how he gets it?

8. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I lOL'd.

And it's not OCD; if it was going to be called anything, it's more anal retentive, which is mostly just the "O"