Change "Don't Buy" Advice for Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DFT, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. DFT macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    #1
    Will the delay in the OSX system also cause a delay in the release of the new iMAC?
    If so, is the "don't buy" advice still sensible ? I don't have any Mac now at all.
     
  2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

    dpaanlka

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2004
    Location:
    Illinois
    #3
    If you need it now, then buy it now. Current iMacs are great machines.
     
  3. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    I've bought mine not too long ago...I've had for about two weeks now. It's great. If you need one now, I'd go ahead and buy...

    And now I've got a 30 Gig iPod on the way! Can't wait :D
     
  4. danny_w macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #5
    I would give the same advice as the others - if you need it now, buy it now. I just bought a 17" iMac C2D for my wife and it has been great. I have no regrets at all. There will always be something just around the corner, no matter when you buy.
     
  5. lovemymac4sure macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #6
    Tough Decision...Need good advice

    Hey folks,

    I have a macbook, which is great, but I will be adding another Mac to my lineup and was wondering should I go portable, i.e. MBP and slide my macbook to my wife, or should I go desktop, i.e., IMac...I plan on buying in June/early July....need help...this is tough one for me

    Thanks,



    Jerry
     
  6. JNB macrumors 604

    JNB

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    #7
    Not so tough, really. Do you need to pick it up and walk around with it? Get the MBP. If not, the iMac. The cost difference alone makes the iMac a super deal if portability is not a need. If I didn't have to combine my Dell & current G5 into my personal & work machines, including all my travel, I'd get another iMac in a NY minute!
     
  7. Vidd macrumors 6502a

    Vidd

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #8
    I got to play with the 24" iMac yesterday.
    How could you want anything more? :)
     
  8. lovemymac4sure macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #9
    Yeah, that does make sense, but you know the decision is hard to make when in the apple store playing with both machines...they are both so darn great! But being that I have my macbook and will upgrade it within the next month...the imac probably is the best way to go...

    By the way what is the best way to clean the track pad? I have Marware on my macbook I just want to maintain the trackpad!

    Jerry
     
  9. BilltheCat macrumors regular

    BilltheCat

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2007
    Location:
    Sanford FL
    #10
    I cannot imagine anything being as nice as the 20" iMac on my glass desk. I would love to have a MBP but it would not supplant the iMac at all!

    If it doesnt need to go, dont go laptop!
     
  10. DFT thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    #11
    Buying Guide Wrong?

    Most of the posts say go ahead and buy. But the Buying Guide on this site says: "don't buy--updates soon." Who is right?
     
  11. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2007
  12. JBat macrumors regular

    JBat

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Washington
    #13
    It is a tough call. I am champing at the bit for a 20" iMac, but being on the cusp of an update makes the decision harder. Yes, I know there's always something newer right around the corner, but when an update is this close pulling the trigger isn't so easy.

    If Photoshop Elements didn't have to run through Rosetta, it would be easier. I need the program for my photo processing, and a big reason for a new computer would be to allow it to run more smoothly than it does on my current PC. From what I've read, Rosetta largely negates this.
     
  13. wordmunger macrumors 603

    wordmunger

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #14
    It'd be cheaper to get Photoshop CS3, which runs great in Rosetta. Also, memory makes a huge difference. I just bumped my iMac to 2GB and Elements runs much faster.
     
  14. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

    freddiecable

    Joined:
    May 16, 2003
    Location:
    Sweden
    #15
    It's not that hard:

    1) If you can't be without a computer than you have to buy one - right?

    2) If you don't have to - you can wait. They will with great certainty be updated within one month or two.

    So if you are in the second category I'd advice to wait until iMacs will be bumped. I hardly think apple will delay bumping iMacs due to delay of Leopard!? There is no real point doing that - other than the new iMacs is heavily dependent on Leopard and I can't see that?
     
  15. KingofAwesome macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2007
    #16
    With great certainty? Really? I doubt you have the kind of contact within Apple necessary for your statement to be true. There's no great certainty that they will update the iMacs in a month or two.

    Buy now if you need now. If you can wait a month or two, wait and maybe, maybe they will be updated. Just keep in mind that if they aren't updated at that point, you'll be facing the same question again.
     
  16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

    pseudobrit

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    #17
    Two months almost without a doubt. Unless Apple want to be in the 10% left behind.

    intel_sr_ramp-1.jpg
     
  17. DFT thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    #18
    Helpful

    Although the most recent posts do not all agree, they all address my problem helpfully. Thanks to all.
    I am inclined to struggle with my PC for a few more months, and see if a new iMAC arrives by July. If not, I won't wait any longer.
    Maybe Adobe will produce a Photoshop Elements that will run without Rosetta by then.
     
  18. JBat macrumors regular

    JBat

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Washington
    #19
    Change "Don't Buy" Advice for Imac?

    I'm in the exact same position. I'll try to wait at least a little longer, but made the mistake of going to CompUSA yesterday and messing around with a 24" iMac. :D It is a very impressive machine, especially loaded to the gills, which is the only way I"d get one. It'll be pretty hard to resist picking one up. However, my PC is running OK for now, and I'll try to hold out for a month or two.

    C'mon Adobe, get your act together! I need Elements. How long has it been since the Intel Macs came out, close to a year? Time to get those apps up to date.
     
  19. mavherzog macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2005
    Location:
    Columbus, WI
    #20
    Huh? I thought CS3 was universal?
     
  20. Hockeypuck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    #21
    'tis! :)
     

Share This Page