change dropbox's permissions?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by alexhardaker, Nov 15, 2014.

1. alexhardaker macrumors newbie

Hello, recently I changed my home directory folder name. I know the risks in doing this, but everything seems to be working fine except for Dropbox. It wants me to allow a change in permissions from my old home directory name, but due to it being different now it cannot do anything. This means that i no longer can use Dropbox. can anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the Dropbox app?

3. alexhardaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, with App cleaner. This is what baffles me.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I wouldnt bother with App cleaner but if a drag to the trash, reboot then reinstall doesnt work try a repair permissions in Disk Utility. If still no good then Im out of ideas.

5. alexhardaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll try doing trash delete. I've already tried disk permissions too :(

6. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

There's also a Dropbox application in ~/Library/Application Support, so, might have to toast that one (on my setup that too is running in addition to stuff under /Applications/Dropbox.app).

But the big issue is probably want to clear out the old Dropbox settings, so from a Terminal:

Code:
    cd
    rm -rf .dropbox

7. alexhardaker thread starter macrumors newbie

There's no folder in the application support folder linked to dropbox on mine. The terminal command worked, though! Thank you! Isn't there a way to delete the old settings without using terminal? I'm not the most advanced user and don't know Unix at all :eek:.