Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi,

I have a dual boot config of Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my Mac running macOS 10.10.5. When I boot + [option key] I see two EFI drives. To be able to choose the Windows - 8 or 10 - I want to boot from, is there a way to change those two EFI icons? TIA!

PS I know I can opt for the "Startup Disk" in prefs, but I'm seeking for a solution for the macOS bootscreen!

Cheers

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
is there a way to change those two EFI icons?

I suspect that those icons are compiled into the boot.efi executable file, so they cannot be easily changed. I know people have been able to change the startup screen's Apple logo and/or colors by using a hex editor on that file, but I haven't seen the same method used for the drive icons.

In any case, I recommend installing rEFInd. There is a great deal of customization you can do, including the icons for the bootable partitions. It is also much, MUCH faster than holding down ALT/OPTION, and you don't have to worry about missing the window for pressing that key combo.

After using rEFInd for just a couple of days a few months ago, I had regretted not installing it from day 1.

Over time I ended up customizing the icons, changing the background screen, and hiding the recovery partitions from the list so that I just saw my three operating systems: Mint, Windows, and OS X.

There are also pre-made themes available. Here is a minimalist theme as an example:

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f33624d473655372e706e67

Last edited:
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Wow, thanks for the info's and what a great looking bootsreen you have made for yourself! Will look into you suggestion today, will report back asap!

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.