Change dual boot Windows icon for macOS bootscreen?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by m4v3r1ck, Sep 23, 2016.

1. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Hi,

I have a dual boot config of Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my Mac running macOS 10.10.5. When I boot + [option key] I see two EFI drives. To be able to choose the Windows - 8 or 10 - I want to boot from, is there a way to change those two EFI icons? TIA!

PS I know I can opt for the "Startup Disk" in prefs, but I'm seeking for a solution for the macOS bootscreen!

Cheers

2. ActionableMango, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I suspect that those icons are compiled into the boot.efi executable file, so they cannot be easily changed. I know people have been able to change the startup screen's Apple logo and/or colors by using a hex editor on that file, but I haven't seen the same method used for the drive icons.

In any case, I recommend installing rEFInd. There is a great deal of customization you can do, including the icons for the bootable partitions. It is also much, MUCH faster than holding down ALT/OPTION, and you don't have to worry about missing the window for pressing that key combo.

After using rEFInd for just a couple of days a few months ago, I had regretted not installing it from day 1.

Over time I ended up customizing the icons, changing the background screen, and hiding the recovery partitions from the list so that I just saw my three operating systems: Mint, Windows, and OS X.

There are also pre-made themes available. Here is a minimalist theme as an example:

[​IMG]

3. m4v3r1ck thread starter macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Wow, thanks for the info's and what a great looking bootsreen you have made for yourself! Will look into you suggestion today, will report back asap!

Cheers

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Oh I didn't make that bootscreen, it's a screen shot from one of the themes available for rEFInd.