Change F@H settings, make it work

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by xUKHCx, May 26, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I set up F@H a little while ago then forgot about it, but no I was thinking about actually doing it but there are some problems.

I want to change the group so I am apart of the MR F@H
    Don't want to have to press "c" each time for a connection
    Would like it if i can get 2 cores on the go (don't know if 1 terminal window will do that)
    Would like to get it to work

Here is the current output from terminal

Any ideas?

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yep, deinstall it and reinstall it! Then you can configure it again and you could download another one that is for dual cores.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

bringing back an old thread :D

any idea how to do these sorts of things for the system prefs pane of F@H? i would like to change the amount of CPU usage/cores if possible. i like BOINC so much because you can change everything, this F@H pref pane is so... basic..

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well most people use the console version. it's really pretty easy to use, and gives you much more control over the pref pane.

sorry i know that's not much help. i don't use the pref pane anymore, so i can't help too much anymore. but if you can, maybe a screenshot of what you're not sure of?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

cheers for the quick reply twoodcc. i have the console version installed too. its working now.

the GUI version doesnt let you do anything, just think of the TM preferences! its that... lol.

i can run the console version if need be, any hints to change preferences etc? its currently using ~770% of my CPU lol - i dont want it that hot.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i can't recall all the setting for the pref pane, but i know you can start the console version with the -configonly parameter to configure the client.

but let me ask, what machine are you running this on? and which client are you running?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i replied that question in another thread you asked yesterday (i think). its the i7 imac :)

client? umm when i open the console it says Version 6.29r1. does that help?

8. SciFrog macrumors 6502

There is no way to throttle down. They need the results as fast as possible...

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh ok. well if you use the console client, what command are you using?

here's what i would do - first, run ./fah6 -configonly and configure the client.

next, if you don't want to use all cores, you can run ./fah6 -smp 6 -advmethods -verbosity 9 - local

if you do decide to use all cores, you can use -bigadv instead of -advmethods

but let us know if you decide to do that. we'd love to see how well that i7 iMac does

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im not using any command :\ i just click the fah6 exe that came with it and away it goes.

ill try to launch it from terminal and whatnot and ill come back.

ill try figure out how to get the results and post them here for comparisons :)

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well it's really easy to launch it from inside the terminal. after starting terminal, you have to get inside the folder that had the fah6 file. you can get there by typing "cd" and then drag and drop the folder into terminal and press enter.

once in the folder, all you have to type is "./fah6" to start. but you can also add parameters with that command.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok cheers. that seems very easy even for a command line n00bie like me ;)

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

let me know if you have any problems. i'm not much beyond a "n00bie" myself, but i'll help if i can

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol.

will be home in a few hours ill let u know how i go

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh ok. i'll probably be in bed by then. but i'll get back at you tomorrow if you need help

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha righteo thanks for all your help!