Change File Associations under another account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TechieJustin, Dec 24, 2009.

1. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I have two accounts set up on this machine.
    One is me, and I'm an admin. The other is my brother and he's a regular user.
    I installed Adobe Acrobat reader and I want PDFs to be associated with Adobe reader.
    Under my account I right clicked and hig get info changed hit and hit change all.
    I can't do that under the other account. Adobe reader isn't a choice, I can't tell it to use Acrobat reader.
    Is there a way to change this for ALL accounts, not just mine?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "Open With" preferences are unique to each account. If you want the same settings for another account, log in as that account and repeat the process. It's designed so each user can select their preferred app to open files with.

3. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Gotcha.
    I did it.

On the windows machines I set up for people I set up a normal user (sometimes Power User) account for each person and then an Admin account (with a red cross as a picture) with a password.
    Can I do that on SL? I would rather not have this account as an admin, but enable the root and keep my normal account as a normal user.
    I was always taught to run as the lowest level as possible and never run as admin for normal tasks like web browsing and Office stuff.