Change File/Folder icon permanently

Discussion in 'macOS' started by teho, Oct 21, 2010.

1. teho macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

i know there are tons tutorials out there to change a file/folder's icon...
    mainly the "get info" method or third party software.

but the moment i moved the file with custom icon to a removable media, say an external hard disk, the icon does not follow. and i can't change an icon to the files on the ext hdd as well through the "get info" method.

i used to be from windows background, so i'll just set a thumbnail cover to the folder and it stays when burned to disc. (of course, the disc when opened on mac doesn't have the thumbnail cover. i didn't know before, since i didn't have a mac to check on)

problem here is i'm hoping the custom icon can stick permanently and be seen on any removable media (CD/DVD/HDD) and viewable on a PC. i'm hoping there's a way to do so, so that i can put a representing image cover to the folders i burned for my projects. this way my lecturerS can easily get an overview of the content inside each folder. and i'm not sure if these lecturers uses a mac on windows...so it'll be great if that icon is readable on both.

i would be grateful for any form of help.

cheers!

edit:
    i found out that on a fat32 external hdd, i can change the icon to the files in there...but not to a ntfs formatted hdd
    anyway to work around for ntfs?

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Open the icon you want to use with preview; press Command+A, then Command+C
    Right click on app/folder to change; get info
    click the little icon in the top right; Command+V
    Close Info window

Video I Just Recorded

3. teho thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the little tutorial, tried but didn't work in removable media.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Really? That is strange, it worked for me when I tried it with removable media. The only reason why I had to do it locally and then empty the trash was because if I tried to eject, it said QuickTime was using the drive.

Edit: Just tried it again and it still worked.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

To my knowledge, there's not a workaround for NTFS.

6. teho thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i realised my problem. i was trying to change the icon to files in NTFS fortmat media. there is no problem with FAT32 format.
    even though i have tuxera NTFS installed that allows my mac to read and write NTFS drives, i still can't change their icon properties. beats me really.