Change file type icons with global command?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mauka, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mauka, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

mauka macrumors member

mauka

Anyone have this problem?

After latest (applied 02/03/2012) Lion update all my files type .dvdmedia have changed to a white sheet of paper with upper right corner curled.

I have Applecare and they told me this morning I would have to manually change each file using get info and copy and paste.

That seems absurd, and I told the guy (nicely) that. But that was all he had.

Anyone here have a better method to make a global change to the icon that is associated to a type of file, in this case .dvdmedia.

Thank you
    Alan

2. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

I do have the same problem and I can't find a better solution too.
    So I started doing a cut/paste on every file.
    But the problem is that every new file is still not with the correct icon.

3. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

No issues so far after updating so I won't test the solutions given, but here's what a search turned up:

From a discussion on "How to set an icon for a file type on Mac?"

I'd say it could be a mismatch of icons in Launch Services, altered Application/Contents/Info.plist or missing Application/Contents/Resources/ files.
    Since the problem occurred after the update it's probably Launch Services. In any case I'd say, if possible, reinstalling the application covers all three.

Then there's the manual way.

It would be making a custom icon, appending it to every file of type .dvdmedia and changing the file's attribute to use the custom icon
    combined with
    It would alter only existing files and has to be redone for every new one..

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Have you tried this?

Select one of your .dvdmedia files.
    Choose Get Info from the Finder's File menu.
    Find the windows 'Open with' section, and select your favorite media player in the menu.
    Close the window, and wait for a bit for the Finder to catch up.
    Check if your files icon has changed to the one you want.
    If it has, think about whether you want your favorite media player to (by default) open all files of that type. If so, repeat the Get Info Process, but this time click the "Change All..." button in the 'Open with' section of the 'Get Info' window.