Change fingers for touch ID - possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pianoman88, Dec 26, 2015.

1. pianoman88 macrumors regular

I used my index finger and wish that I had used my thumb. Is it possible to reset the system and use my thumb instead?

2. OTACORB, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015

OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

You can add up to 5 fingerprints, including replacing the one you've already entered.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can do that.
    You can also replace the present one, or you can add another finger. There are up to 5 slots for touch ID fingerprints, AFAIK.

Settings - Touch ID & Passcode - Add Fingerprint.
    You can also select your existing one, delete it, or re-do it
    There's lots of options for that. You can even add a fingerprint for someone else, if you want to let that person log in to your iPad without using a passcode.

4. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

See, learn something everyday on this site, may seem simple but I didn't know this! Thanks OP for the question and everyone who answered

5. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

You know one other interesting thing I've found with the fingerprint scanner. I find that after a period of time you'll start noticing it fail more and more often. This just means you need to re-scan your fingerprints again. I have generally found this resolves it 100% because overall I find the fingerprint scanner works 99.9% of the time as long as your fingers are't wet or dirty. LOL

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

And here I thought that it was common knowledge that you can program up to five fingers.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can scan more than 5 if your smart.

Give it a try. Basically when adding a print switch between two fingers with each press and it'll add both.

8. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I've been using both thumbs and both index fingers for both my iPhone 6 and iPad Pro. That way, I can unlock my phone regardless of which hands the devices are in, and in which orientation.

Just don't lose those fingers ;)

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I imagine that would decrease the accuracy of readings for both of those fingers and give you more false negatives at worst, and slower confirmations at best.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It doesn't actually as it takes more scans initially to register the prints.