Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickylkmlkm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
Hi I lost all e-mails on the server after change my set up in all my devices from POP to IMAP. What can I do to find out all my e-mails? Any chance to locate my emails? Or it is 100% not recoverable?

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you change it from POP to IMAP or IMAP to POP. With POP, the emails are downloaded to the device/computer and are off the server, where as IMAP stays on the server.

Did you reset the configuration to see if they're still there but the iPhone cannot see them? It might be that your email provider does not provide IMAP and so setting it to IMAP means its not getting the emails, i.e., not seeing them.

Finally, this question is best asked of your email host, I'd reach out to them on getting your emails back

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Email is probably gone unless you have it sitting on another client (dekstop/laptop, etc). As stated above, POP server does not retain email unless you've configured your clients to leave mail on the server. Definitely check with your email host.

rickylkmlkm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2013
Email is probably gone unless you have it sitting on another client (dekstop/laptop, etc). As stated above, POP server does not retain email unless you've configured your clients to leave mail on the server. Definitely check with your email host.

Thanks for all your help guys! My e-mail host said they couldn't see the old e-mails. He asked me to check if there's any possibility to recover the e-mail from my i-phone or MAC pro. I downloads e-mail with POP setting before so all e-mails were downloads to my MAC and iPhone but unfortunately I changed to IMAP few days ago. All e-mails gone!!!!! I have had my time machine back up about 2 weeks ago. How can I locate e-mails from the hard drive? Is there any e-mails back up in my hard drive?

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for all your help guys! My e-mail host said they couldn't see the old e-mails. He asked me to check if there's any possibility to recover the e-mail from my i-phone or MAC pro. I downloads e-mail with POP setting before so all e-mails were downloads to my MAC and iPhone but unfortunately I changed to IMAP few days ago. All e-mails gone!!!!! I have had my time machine back up about 2 weeks ago. How can I locate e-mails from the hard drive? Is there any e-mails back up in my hard drive?

If you have a backup, you will probably get them back if you revert. Your Mail app on your Mac would still have the same definitions, and probably the emails as well.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
If you have time machine backup then you're in good shape just revert back to the point in time prior to switching and your emails should all be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.