Change from Snow Leopard to Lios OS - Seagate

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dhiamara, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Dhiamara macrumors newbie

Hey guys!
    Just troubleshooting here, a year or so back I bought a Seagate Backup Plus Drive 3/4tb.

It worked perfectly fine on Snow Leopard, I then changed to the Lion OS and am now on the 10.8.4 and my seagate turns on but my iMac no longer recognizes it!

Anyone else run into this who can offer instructions on how I can hope to solve it?

2. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

Have you opened up disk utility to see if the disk is even showing up? It could just not be mounting correctly, or it might need repaired all of which can be found on in disk utility

Also, fire up console and watch your log when you plug it in to see what happens

3. Dhiamara thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried both, the mac isn't picking it up at all.
    Disk Utility shows nothing, and nothing happens when my drive is plugged in on console.

4. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

Hmm that's strange, what type of interface is it? USB, FireWire, thunderbolt?

I've had this happen to LaCie and G-Tech drives before, the interface on the drive failed.

5. Dhiamara thread starter macrumors newbie

USB I think.

6. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

Try different ports, and if that doesn't work contact the manufacturer about the warranty, is there anything REALLY important on the disk that you wouldn't be able to replace?

7. Dhiamara thread starter macrumors newbie

Years of family pictures.

8. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

Hmmm ok....could you tell me the model version of your unit? If the interface failed, which seems likely, you can extract the hard drive from the unit and manually recover the data, but I'm not sure of your proficiency level.

I have a set of SATA to USB connectors around just for this.

It will also void your seafarers warranty