Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've just used the Navigation feature in Google Maps for the first time in a few months, and I've found that the voice has changed. Previously it had a British voice, but now it's using an American one. Does anyone know how to change this back?

Everything I've found so far says to change the Siri voice settings, but that's still set on British so it seems that this setting is no longer respected in the current version of Google Maps.

How can I restore the British voice?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've just used the Navigation feature in Google Maps for the first time in a few months, and I've found that the voice has changed. Previously it had a British voice, but now it's using an American one. Does anyone know how to change this back?

Everything I've found so far says to change the Siri voice settings, but that's still set on British so it seems that this setting is no longer respected in the current version of Google Maps.

How can I restore the British voice?
Could that be based on regional settings that are set in iOS (or perhaps even keyboard language settings or something like that)?

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Bingo! With the "iPhone Language" set to "English (New Zealand)" (which is new in iOS 10) I get the American voice, and when set to "English (UK)" I get British.

I'm happy to leave it on UK; the only other difference I've noticed between the two settings is that Mail has "Bin" instead of "Trash". Thanks for the pointer :)

Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.