Change Hard Drive in MacBook Pro 15" ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, Dec 20, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Hi There, Has anyone swapped their hard drive in your MacBook Pro 15" ?
    i would like to get a 7200 PRM drive or at least something bigger..

Is this a risky operation or not ??

Thanks ; )

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i don't think its too tough but its not going to be the easiest thing to do. they really didn't make HD swapping very easy

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Just did my MBP 17" with the Hitachi 200 gig 7200. Took about 20 min and was maybe 40 screws total. Not to hard just make sure to be delicate.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You void your warranty by doing this, just warning you.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

They don't know you voided your warrantee until they find the drive has been replaced. I'm going to do this, I simply don't have enough time between getting the drive and needing to use it to pay a tech on a holiday. If you've got the right screw drivers (phillips 0 and t6 torx) it shouldn't be too hard, but don't break anything or you're screwed.

Oh and a video is here: http://media.macsales.com/highres.html

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I second this. Its not hard at all. Follow the videos, and be careful, especially when taking the top case off (the keyboard). You don't wanna snap your ribbon cable....that would be a little hard to explain away.

7. geissap macrumors member

Agreed. You'll be fine getting the top case off will stump you for a bit but it's not that bad you just bend that sucker forward and it snaps out...no biggie. Keep track of your screws.

As for voiding your warranty. YES, it does. Any any decent tech is gonna see that it's not an apple HD almost immediately. There's :apple: slapped on all of there hard drives so it's easy for them to spot.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The point would be to reinsert the old HD if anything bad happens to the computer...

I am personally waiting until a 320 GB 7200 RPM drive comes out. I need both man!

9. Myles Taylor macrumors newbie

There is nothing wrong with putting a third party HD in your machine and that doesn't void your warranty if you have an Authorized Service Provider do the work. I work for an Apple Authorized Service Provider and we use Western Digital and Seagate drives.

I just put a 320 GB 7200 RPM drive in my Macbook Pro. It was a Western Digital.

10. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

you're replying to a thread from 2007, it wasn't out then....

11. loopback macrumors newbie