Change iCal Icon.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lostanddamned, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I did some googling and mroogling on this subject and I can't find anything relating to how it is currently.

What I want to do is take my iCal icon and make it blue. Because of how the rest of my dock looks I think it would fit a little better.

What is the modern method for doing this, and does anyone have a better quality blue iCal image than the one I found on google which was 64x64 and lost all the detail.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've tried before and, from my experience, it can't seem to be done. Unless a way has come up since I tried which I doubt.

The issue is that, because of having the date on it, iCal updates it's icon daily which means that the file can't actually be replaced because every day when the date changes it will revert back.

Like I said, I was trying awhile ago so a new way may have come up but I doubt it.

3. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I'm aware of that. But there was something about replacing not the icon but the source file that the icon was taken from - inside the application?

4. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

iCal's icon can be changed; you just have to know where to look. ;)

Default icon:
    • /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/App.icns
    Blank icon (for current date):
    • /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/App-empty.icns
    • /Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/iCalDockTilePlugIn.docktileplugin/Contents/Resources/App-empty.icns

Replace each of those with the desired icon, and you're good to go.

5. Lostanddamned thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Thank you. I also managed to edit up my own icons using photoshop to replace colours - was remarkably easy. End result is very... blue.

Attached Files:

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Wow, I guess that's a better response then mine lol. Glad someone knew how though, now I can change mine lol

7. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

So, kinda taking over this thread myself, sorry, but I did get my icon to change in the dock, however when I go into the applications folder the image for app.icns has basically just been removed. It's showing up as the image I have set for applications, the same thing it does when nothing is there. The image appears in the resources just not for the actual applications.

It's not a major issue because the dock one is working, just kind of annoying.