Change iCloud mail account associated w/ iCloud ID? (Note: not the actual iCloud ID)

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So my Apple ID & iCloud ID are both XXX@gmail.com. Which is great.

My iCloud email that is associated with that iCloud ID is YYY@me.com

I have activated an iCloud email XXX@me.com and I would like to replace the YYY account with the XXX account for consistancy. I've never actually used the YYY email, so I can ditch it no problem.

Is this possible? I assume I wouldn't lose any iCloud synced data, because that's all associated with the iCloud ID right? What is even the point of that associated email account? Maybe I just should leave it alone...

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yup.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about those alternate emails listed there (honestly I'm not sure what those are for; password resets?), but I'm talking when you go into your iCloud account there is an iCloud email set up for it. I don't see ANY way to change that.

Also, when I try to add my XXX@me.com as an "alternate email" at the link suppled above it says that it is already associated with an apple ID...

Note: My XXX@me.com was actually an old account I set up with my 6 free months of mobile me 4 years ago or so. I wasn't able to reactivate the account for some reason when I set up iCloud which is why I went YYY, but now I was able to activate it again, so I was wanting to swap it out.

4. jpix55, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

jpix55 macrumors member

I did the same thing. I was wondering now that MobileMe has been closed if, as you put it, the XXX@me.com email addresses would become available again. I don't use the YYY@me.com address because it is different from my other ones, but would use it if it was the same. I think I'm going to call apple and talk to a rep and see what happens.

5. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Let me know what you find out. Otherwise I might call later when I have time.

Another thing I've discovered. My XXX@me.com IS an Apple ID itself. Therefore, I'm unable to add it as an "alternate email" on the link d21mike provided and, worse, I am unable to add it as a receiving email to iMessage or Facetime!

6. jpix55 macrumors member

So, this has not been a priority of mine lately and I have not contacted apple. Did you happen to call apple? If so, what did you find out?