Change icon for "Remote Disc", "Network", and "Computer"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amakh, Mar 26, 2011.

1. amakh macrumors newbie

It is easy enough to change the icons for hard drives and time machine, but I cannot figure out how to change the icons for things like "Remote Disk" and the icon for the computer itself. Is this possible?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. amakh thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the standard method, which works in most cases. In the case of Remote Disk, the paste command is not available.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where are you trying to change it? On the Desktop?

5. amakh thread starter macrumors newbie

It's in the finder sidebar under devices. I changed the hard drive icons, but I can't change the Remote Disk and Computer icons the same way. Also, I changed the iDisk icon on the desktop, but the change is not reflected in the finder, and none of the modified icons show up in disk utility. The changes only affect the finder, but not throughout.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The items on the sidebar of Finder are aliases. Change the icon of the original file/folder/disk, then Command-drag the items off the sidebar and re-add them from the originals. The new icons should show up.

7. amakh thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed the iDisk icon, and it shows up everywhere I expect it to but the sidebar. I suspect that this is because in the sidebar, iDisk has a function associated with the icon (the sync button to the right of the icon). Also, you cannot drag iDisk out of the sidebar; you either have to right click it and select remove from sidebar or uncheck it in the sidebar tab or the Finder preferences. I am looking for a way to change the icon of Remote disk, and other volumes that act the same way as it. If you right click remote disk and select get info, a small screen with a minimal amount of information comes up. When you drag a icon into the remote disk icon (a blank CD) you get a little green + icon, but if you let go of the mouse button, nothing happens. Doing the same thing to a hard drive or folder would change the icon, but not for Remote Disk, Computer, or Network. Are you aware of a system folder that holds the icons for these volumes that I could look into. I could probably drag my own icon into the folder, rename it to what the original icon was names, and that change would be reflected systemwide.