Change icons?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by epmi, Dec 13, 2007.

1. epmi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I just became the new owner of a beautiful MBP Monday. This is my very first Mac, so I have lots of questions to ask. So please bear with me and forgive me if I sound like a total noob.

I'd like to know if there is a way of changing the icons without the use of third party software such as Candybar? I tried the "get info" method, where I tried copying and pasting the icon I like into the preview section and that didn't seem to work. I know I have read/write permissions so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The icons I have are .png's. Is this a supported format for icons or should it be something else.

Thanks, and to the "Windows on a Mac" forum I go. :)

Lis

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You don't need any program ever to change an icon.

Simply Get Info (command + I) on the icon file you have, and at the top left of the get info box, the icon will show, click on it and you will notice it's highlighted.
    From there simply Copy (command + C) and then get info on the item who's icon you wish to replace, click on the icon in the top left of that get info box and paste the new icon into that (command + v)

Works like a charm.