Change iMac Internal Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stadidas, Dec 13, 2007.

1. stadidas macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I would like to change out the internal 160GB drive from my iMac (Late 2006) Core 2 Duo. I think the drive is a 3.5", is this correct. Also, has anyone else done this, or know of any guides telling you how to do it?

Thanks.

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The drive is a 3.5" serial ATA one, that's correct.

Unfortunately I can't help you with a guide, I'm pretty sure I've seen one but didn't bookmark it. I settled for external FW800-drives instead, it was much easier :)

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

First, research what you want based on what you got:

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=27

If you opt to have them install it (suggested, ask a professional to keep your warranty intact and your sanity as well) follow the installation service link on that page.

To install yourself, bearing in mind most every installer says this is 5/5 in terms of difficulty - and even though they're biased and want your money to install for you, the consensus is obvious... this aint easy, and you WILL void the warranty.

Excellent instructional video (might find it more useful than a manual):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzuBW3mu7LI

Note: I stress what others advised, buy an external HD and store your stuff there, leave the internal alone to host the OS and major folders, put all your music/videos/work stuff on the external plus you can benefit from using Time Machine. Get a nice capacity G-TECH G drive 500 or something similar, my .02

Note: I believe your iMac only supports FW400 not 800 - make sure you research that before buying wrong cable

-jim

4. stadidas thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I already have an external 500GB drive with two partitions, one for Time Machine and one for extra data storage. I figured it would be better to have a larger internal drive so I can just use the external for time machine, as if the external drive goes I loose the time machine backup and the data on the extra storage partition. I suppose it would be easier to buy another external drive for extra data storage, and use the one I have now exclusively for time machine.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I think your iMac supports two FW400 ports, so I would concur, others might have more suggestions? Take care. :cool:

-jim

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, not to mention that if your external Firewire drive has an input you can easily daisy chain more Firewire devices than you will likely ever need.

I second Jim's excellent suggestion to leave the internal HDD as is and add more external storage. For me personally although I know it's been done successfully I would never think about doing the surgery required on my own iMac. If Apple can prove you opened your case your warranty is likely voided although I've heard some debate on this issue. It is something else to consider.

For me I know I would just get something not quite right when I put it back together or break something somewhere. It's not worth it. The machine is next to silent now.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do.