Change IMEI on network to avoid Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by goodtimeshaxor, Mar 21, 2010.

1. goodtimeshaxor macrumors newbie

Here's my plan:

Upgrade to a new iPhone 3GS and initially add data for one month. I will actually pay for the data for one month and the upgrade fee of $18.00. However, before the month is up, I will use AT&T's POS to change my hardware IMEI, remove the data plan, and not use my phone at all. I will switch out my sim card and stick it into another phone completely.

The point of this would be to have an iPhone laying around not being used for phone service but get it for the upgrade cost. Is this possible? Or will AT&T figure out the IMEI was changed and slap the data plan back on?

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I dont really understand your question. but, if you want to buy an iPhone you only have to have the data plan for one day. you can cancel the next day and sell your iPhone. you can use the sim in another phone without having to pay for data. I hope that answers your question!

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not possible to change your iPhones imei number.
    There's plenty of ways to have an iPhone without a data plan though.

4. Maverick230 macrumors newbie

It is possible to change the IMEI however it is illegal. From what I understand is a program called ZiPhone can be used to change the IMEI number for your phone.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That program hasn't been around for over 2 years and it's not compatible with the recent iPhone firmware.
    I think it worked with the old 1.2+ firmware.

6. Tundra Boy macrumors newbie

Can you help me with some other ways? I JBd and unlocked my 3G thinking that would be get me out of using a data plan but I started getting textes from at&t about required plans, and they already activated it for me.

I have a contract w/AT&T, but just want to use a hand-me-down 3G without the data plan. I have enough wifi spots for my needs. what can I do? Am I stuck with a data plan?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your pretty much stuck.
    You might not want it but they will add it to your account anyway. That's what they been doing to everyone. Go with the lower $15 plan.

8. greenday123 macrumors 6502

I had a basic data plan for my old Curve and eventually got an iPhone from a friend and never went through AT&T and i never got any texts about data plans or whatever.. for some reason my data did work okay though.. I just didn't have 3G.

I'm sure you could just go to AT&T and say you lost it or something and say you have an old phone you could use and just ask for a basic Minutes + Texts plan, they will give you a new SIM and you can just stick that back in the iPhone.

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

...and then after a few hours or days ATT will add an iPhone data plan to your line.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That won't work.
    When you stick the sim in the iPhone they will eventually notice it and add an iPhone data plan anyway. It might take weeks or months but they do catch on faster now lately.

11. Tundra Boy macrumors newbie

What are some other ways to have an iphone w/out a data plan? Unlocked on TMobile? was already there for a while and hated tmobile.

Is there anyway to be on at7t without a data plan? Can't undertand it because I've had a 2G on AT&T for about a year now w/no data plan.

Unlocking with original sim card in won't help?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry that post was from march.
    Back then A&T wasnt doing much about it but now they're slamming everyone with automatic data plans.
    Unlocked on Tmobile is one solution or using an iphone 2G. They do allow you to remove the data on that iphone but NOT on the 3G, 3GS or iphone 4 models. Unlocking the sim or the phone wont make any difference.
    They will still see what device you're using to acess their network the minute you stick your simcard in and connect.

13. snowman1 macrumors regular

Does this happen because of the iPhone's IMEI?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, and thats something that cannot be changed.