change iOS4 folder icon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by steezy1337, Aug 10, 2010.

1. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

is there anyway to change the folder icon to something simple that doesn't have the mini icons of what's inside the folder? i only have one folder that is on ym dock and i don't like how it looks. i've found the background .png in the springboard.app but i'm not sure if there's a separate one to mask over the apps or something?

2. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Yes I would like to know as well. Those stock folder icons are hideous...

3. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

the only reason i really want a folder is for my games on the dock, it ruins the look with that ugly folder with the lovely retina icons. i'd use categories but i prefer the smoothness and style of the stock folders and there weren't really any nice looking retina icon sets for the folders that would work with no labels as well.

4. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

The only solution (no solution really) is to fill the first 9 spaces with blanks. Hopefully a hack will be developed soon.

5. rmul86 macrumors 6502

you can actually manually place icons into the categories icons folder with ssh. also, if you download categoriessb with categories, it is much smoother and actually looks better than the ios4 folders.

6. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Categories is great, but really not that great. Everytime you add or change an icon you pretty much have to respring if I remember correctly

7. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

i've used categories on my 3gs and i was using it on my ip4 but the lack of retina quality icons and the general feel to it wasn't as good as the stock folders + infinifolders.

i think it depends how much editing you're doing, i've added an app or taken an app out of a folder in categories and it's not needed to respring.

8. rmul86 macrumors 6502

you are right, there are some tedious drawbacks...I'm just amazed that there hasn't been a hack out there where you can modify ios 4 folder icons.

9. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

imo there will be one, we just don't have it right yet. i might spend a a couple hours or so tomorrow to see if i can find anything.

10. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Why is it that when I try and open FolderIconBG.png, the only image that shows is a red x and the file won't reveal the image?

11. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

where's FolderIconBG.png located? i can't remember for the life of me :)

12. rmul86 macrumors 6502

system/library/coreservices/springboard.app

you can actually view the image in ifile on the iphone 4 itself...strange how i can view it on the device but not on my computer. It seems like it would be pretty easy to replace the foldericonbg@2x.png with whatever icon you desire (haven't tried it yet, at work right now). The problem is getting rid of the mini icons that overlay the foldericonbg@2x.png. Maybe the mini icons can be found in the corresponding app's folder and you simply just need to delete them and they won't show? Through ifile i can see icons labeled "icon-small", I wonder if these are the mini icons that are placed in the folder.

13. rmul86 macrumors 6502

14. rmul86 macrumors 6502

This is all for not anyway...I still won't be able to customize each folder icon background separately anyway considering there is only one file (foldericonbg@2x.png). If i change this image then all will have that image. I guess I'll wait patiently and let the pros take care of this at a later date in time.

15. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

that could be along the right lines though, i had a look at a couple of different icons and they only have the large springboard icon and the smaller one for search listings which makes me think that there's maybe a bit of code that is pulling the spotlight picture in for the folder view, it could mean that if someone found that bit of code they could stop it from pulling the icons and leaving the space blank with just the icon background in place.

16. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Well whenever I modify my icon@2x.png images, you can see it updates it in the folders. Which leads me to believe that there is "a bit of code" that is pulling the actual icon image. I would love to know where this "code" is so it can stop putting the icons inside the folder.

Nevertheless, my goal of creating folder icons that are unique from eachother seems out of my level of expertise.

17. steezy1337 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'd like to help but i don't have the patience or the faintest idea of where i'd start :(

18. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

No you can veiw it on your computer just go onto ifile and save it to your camera roll then you can see the picture on your computer using iPhoto

19. Alfroggy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.
    I jailbroke my precious for the sole reason of changing the folders' appearance to that of standard app icons, only to find out than FolderEnhancer deals only with the background's mod, which doesn't require jailbreak.:D
    We're in the (late) middle of the night here so I'll try and change the png located in Folder Icon Change app's file://localhost/var/stash/Themes.fRSMeg/Folder%20Icon%20Change/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/FolderIconBG~iphone.png/var/stash/Themes.fRSMeg/Folder Icon Change/Bundles/com.apple.springboard/FolderIconBG~iphone.png
    into my own tomorrow once my wife (the other precious) leaves for work.
    I'm pretty confident but I'll debrief on this thread if you're still willing to fix this issue since the time :D

20. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to do this yet, either via ssh or a theme? I'd like to have a white apple logo be the icon used for folders, with no smaller icons of what's inside visible. Just the apple logo.

21. Alfroggy, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

Alfroggy macrumors newbie

All your folders will look the same though. I couldn't find a way to theme theme individually other than using Categories (which I don't like cause it doesn't have this native feel...).

22. Alfroggy macrumors newbie

Here, just download, unzip and place in var/themesXXX and enable in Winterboard. This will skin the folders to the Apple logo. I use Springtomize (available through Cydia) to disable the app icon preview (the mini icons showing on top of the folder icon).
    http://db.tt/AjQthJY

23. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I don't have a themes folder in var, did you mean Library? And I tried putting it there (root/library/themes) where it would show up in Winterboard and activated and resprung. Nothing changed.

24. Alfroggy macrumors newbie

Ok, it's not due to where you SSH the file, but perhaps to the icon size or I dunno. I've merely placed the Apple boot logo in the folder. I tried the theme out only after having posted it above to find out it didn't work. Sorry not to bring an out of the box solution.

25. Alfroggy macrumors newbie

Beautifolders

Hi there.
    Beautifolders (free on Cydia) addresses the issue. I'm so happy someone managed to find a way to theme those folder icons according to the folder names you set !