Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Hey,

Is it possible to change the folder location of my iPhone and iPad backups to my NAS drive? I only have 1TB on my mac, and 200+ GB of that is my iPhone backup. More with my iPad included.

Ideally, when finder does the backup, I'd like to store this on my NAS. Is this possible?

Reactions: skyd34th

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I’ve seen this pulled off with some weird scripts to copy the backups to a NAS etc but far beyond my skill set. Curious as to what consensus of reply’s is.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Yes I do this. You just need to replace the backups folder (which iTunes preferences will tell you where that is) with a symbolic link to the actual folder once you’ve copied it into another place. Just remember if the new target location isn’t available (e.g. the NAS drive is not mounted on your Mac that iTunes is running on) then the backups won’t work. Search t’internet there are some guides on how to do this.

Davefevs

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Bristol, UK
I use Imazing on Mac to do this. It can be slow backing up to NAS (I use WD Mycloud)....and I’m thinking about getting an HDD instead and going back to that.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
To be clear I’m not talking about backing up the iTunes phone backups folder, I’m talking about moving it to somewhere else. And then backing it up separately as it happens :). I had same problem as OP, my backups across many iDevices was taking up large %age of my main iMac’s SSD.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
To be clear I’m not talking about backing up the iTunes phone backups folder, I’m talking about moving it to somewhere else. And then backing it up separately as it happens :). I had same problem as OP, my backups across many iDevices was taking up large %age of my main iMac’s SSD.

Yeah this is what I'm looking to do. Move the actual folder to my NAS (which is mounted and always available). However, I cannot seem to find a simple way to do this. Also, Catalina now does this via Finder rather than iTunes which to me is complicating matters further.

Do you have this working on Catalina, and if so would you mind posting the steps you took to get it working?

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah this is what I'm looking to do. Move the actual folder to my NAS (which is mounted and always available). However, I cannot seem to find a simple way to do this. Also, Catalina now does this via Finder rather than iTunes which to me is complicating matters further.

Do you have this working on Catalina, and if so would you mind posting the steps you took to get it working?

Sorry still on Mojave right now. Waiting for the first waves of Catalina bugs to wash out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.