Change IPhone Housing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mbailey41832, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Mbailey41832 macrumors newbie

I bought my iphone from someone that had scratched the housing til hell wouldnt have it. I have found a website that sells housing for $30, but will this screw up my phone? My husband is good at stuff like this, he changed the battery in his 1st gen ipod a few years ago. Any helpful tips? email is mgbailey@tvscable.com thanx i have a iphone 3g 8g

2. Matteh117 macrumors regular

Take a look at the iFixit website. It's not a quick or easy task...

3. CoreyHM1 macrumors member

I changed mine to red on my 3G, it is a PITA if you've never opened one before. It can be dangerous, most of the parts are very fragile and there are a ton of screws.

The hardest part is removing and gluing the chrome bezel and removing the glass for the first time.

4. Mbailey41832 thread starter macrumors newbie

does yours look and work as good as new? On a scale of 1-10, how hard was it to do?

5. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I opened my wife's 1st gen when she dropped it and stuck the Power Button so you couldn't press it. I think the metal housing compressed around the outside of the plastic button.

I opened it, and then went and bought her a 3G, if that tells you anything.

I'm pretty good with small stuff. Usually.

6. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

[​IMG]

7. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i suggest if you have no experience with opening small electronics that dont do it... my 3g used to be white... switched it to red myself.. the outcome was pretty decent but would've been better if i sent it to a professional... which is what i did for my blue housing and now it looks perfect :D

8. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

hahahaahhahahahahahahahaha

9. CoreyHM1 macrumors member

Well... i wouldn't suggest it to anyone that doesn't know what they are doing. I have opened and repaired a quite a few iphones. So it was easy for me. But, the hardest part is swapping the camera and buttons out. IF you do it, you must glue the metal bezel to the new housing before you start getting parts back in it. I didn't, and it was a pita to glue the top right and bottom left down after it was all put together. I'll say, it wasn't easy for me the first time (it took me a couple hours because i was being cautious). But i could probably do it with my eyes closed now because I've opened so many.

[​IMG]

It finally come out great, but if your one of those people that are picky about being able to "feel" the edge of the bezel from the plastic, then no its not perfect. lol. Its not OEM, and its custom done. So, it wont fit 100% like it would from apple. :p

10. afronathan macrumors newbie

That looks beautiful :D
    I would love to get that done

11. Surrix macrumors regular

What site are you planning to buy from?

12. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

you can buy the full housing on ebay for around $20 now... just search up iphone 3g housing... they include the chrome buttons, bezel, back, sim card tray, etc... although they aren't OEM quality.. they are still pretty good

13. julian.rueda macrumors newbie

This thread is old and what not. But would you be able to do that for someone who sent you their iPhone and wanted you to do it with a housing they got off of eBay? eMail me back if you can. julian.rueda92@gmail.com:apple: