change iPhoto preferences without opening the application.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blowie.P, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Blowie.P macrumors newbie

Hello,
    IPhoto would not import a group of photos I took on an iPhone in another country and I finally figured out it was a problem with iPhoto's places feature. So I turned off 'automatically find places' in iPhoto preferences, imported the pics and (possibly foolishly) turned back on 'automatically find places' preference. Now when I open the app it goes nuts, and i just get the spinning beachball immediately, so I can't change the preferences.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

The preferences file is in Home Folder>Library>Prefences>.....iPhoto.plist.
    It should open with TextEdit, but whether you can make sense of what is displayed is another matter. :confused:

3. Blowie.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave, but I wouldn't want to mess with anything I didn't know about. Anyone?

4. Blowie.P thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try trashing the Preference file. iPhoto will just make a new one when it launches.

6. Blowie.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again Dave. So I had a look but for some reason my preferences weren't there. I located them somewhere else but there's no iphoto.pilst file in there. Any ideas? really appreciate it.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Upto and including Snow Leopard, preference files are found here:Home Folder>Library>Prefences>
    and you are looking for the file com.apple.iPhoto.plist

The Home Library is hidden in Lion. I don't have Lion, but I believe that in Finder, select GO and hold the option key. Select Library in the submenu. Then navigate to the preference folder.