change iPhoto preferences without opening the application.

Blowie.P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Hello,
IPhoto would not import a group of photos I took on an iPhone in another country and I finally figured out it was a problem with iPhoto's places feature. So I turned off 'automatically find places' in iPhoto preferences, imported the pics and (possibly foolishly) turned back on 'automatically find places' preference. Now when I open the app it goes nuts, and i just get the spinning beachball immediately, so I can't change the preferences.
Any ideas?
Cheers!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
The preferences file is in Home Folder>Library>Prefences>.....iPhoto.plist.
It should open with TextEdit, but whether you can make sense of what is displayed is another matter. :confused:

Blowie.P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks Dave, but I wouldn't want to mess with anything I didn't know about. Anyone?

Blowie.P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks again Dave. So I had a look but for some reason my preferences weren't there. I located them somewhere else but there's no iphoto.pilst file in there. Any ideas? really appreciate it.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Upto and including Snow Leopard, preference files are found here:Home Folder>Library>Prefences>
and you are looking for the file com.apple.iPhoto.plist

The Home Library is hidden in Lion. I don't have Lion, but I believe that in Finder, select GO and hold the option key. Select Library in the submenu. Then navigate to the preference folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.