Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, I'm currently using a hotmail email address for my US iTunes account. Can I change this email address to a gmail address without losing all the films I have on the hotmail account?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Your account is more than just your email address, it's just that Apple has you use your email address as your login as opposed to you creating a random ID name that you'd need to remember. When you go into your Apple ID settings, it will allow you to change all sorts of things, from your shipping address to trusted devices to payment methods. When I changed my email, I was still able to access all my previous purchases. I suppose you could always contact Apple if you are really worried about it.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks Darmok.

If you are knowledgeable about Movies Anywhere (MA), do you know if UV codes I used on MA will be deleted?

I will contact MA just to make sure.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Yup. They’re connected to the Apple account / email address I want to change.

If MA say they’ll be deleted I may just have to stick with my existing email address

Thanks for the info mate:)

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If you are knowledgeable about Movies Anywhere (MA), do you know if UV codes I used on MA will be deleted?

I will contact MA just to make sure.
I'm not sure if changing the iTunes user name will sever the MA/iTunes link. However, even if it does you will not lose movies that have already transferred (see here). Obviously new purchases will no longer transfer if the link is broken, and you may have to wait for 180 days before you can connect an account with a different user name to MA. But I suspect the MA support may be able to help you out if you explain the situation.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I'm not sure if changing the iTunes user name will sever the MA/iTunes link. However, even if it does you will not lose movies that have already transferred (see here). Obviously new purchases will no longer transfer if the link is broken, and you may have to wait for 180 days before you can connect an account with a different user name to MA. But I suspect the MA support may be able to help you out if you explain the situation.
Thanks Rigby. I got confirmation from MA that existing films will remain.

I've now asked them what will happen once I have changed email address and then begin to add new UV codes.

Will let you guys know the outcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.