Change keyboard layout - MacBook Pro Late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trocLas, Feb 12, 2014.

1. trocLas macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Late 2013 and I would like to know what is the key type of this keyboard, because I am thinking of changing some keys from its keyboard (It has a US layout and I would like to change specific keys to Portuguese Layout). I read on the internet that there are small differences in the hinge mechanism, and, due to that fact, there are many types of key/hinge (like this website explains: http://www.thebookyard.com/apple_keycaps_clip_select.php?cPath=66_117)

I would like to know what is the key type in this specific model (in order for me to buy individual keys) and if I should be able to replace them myself.

I would also like to know if there are other alternatives (to adopt a Portuguese layout) beside individual key replacement and/or keyboard covers (like KB portuguese keyboard cover)

Thanks in advance,

trocLas

2. trocLas, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

trocLas thread starter macrumors newbie

3. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

You can change your keyboard preferences in Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Input sources.
    It changes how the computer sees your keyboard, not the physical keyboard keys.

If you want to study the differences, make sure the Input menu (a flag or character) is shown in the menu bar at the top right and click on Show Keyboard Viewer.
    If not, at the Input sources tab, make sure to toggle "Show Input menu in menu bar", and at the Keyboard tab of the keyboard menu, toggle "Show keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar."

The keyboard viewer will give you an on-screen keyboard, so you can actually see the differences. Pressing shift, alt, or alt-shift will show you additional characters.

4. trocLas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, I am really appreciated! But is there any way to change some (not all) of the physical keys from US layout to Portuguese layout? Is there any store/website that sells individual keys for this specific model of Macbook Pro (Late 2013 13.3") ?