Change keyboard layout

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by J-acevedo, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. J-acevedo macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2009
    Hi! I've had a Macbook for quite some time, and it just died a few days ago, so I got a new regular white Macbook.

    The thing is that the new Macbook's got a different layout for the keys- the latin american one. Physically I mean. The keys look different, the symbols are all over the place and I'm having a seriously hard time using it.

    Is there any way of changing the keys to the american ones? I still have my old notebook, so I can always change them by hand, but even so the white plastic thing around them has a different shape. Would that be a problem?

    Thanks! I hope that wasn't too cryptic to understand
  2. eman macrumors 6502a

    Nov 5, 2007
    In the great white north
    If you're in the US, you should have gotten a qwerty keyboard layout. Or do you have the azerty keyboard layout.
  3. J-acevedo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2009
    It's QWERTY, but the rest of the keys are off... I mean, I got the latin american qwerty (didn't buy this in the US, I was going to order it from the Apple store but it took like two weeks to be shipped down here, so I had to buy it from the local Apple Store).
  4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040


    Sep 28, 2008
    If the key cutouts are different as well due to different function key sizes, you'll need to purchase a North American upper case. If it's a white MacBook prior to the new "unibody" plastic models you can find a top case anywhere from ebay to and order/replace the unit yourself. You may then need to go to your language/keyboard preferences and set the operating system to the North American/English layout.

Share This Page