Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Ok I am running the trial of parallels (and going to try it on trial of fusion), I am mainly running autodesk software.
As the delete key on my mbp is actually the backspace key on a windows computer, the vm sees delete as backspace, no real big BUT...
In autocad, I use the delete key quite often to erase (rather than typing e then enter). I have tried to use windows keymapping programs within the installation to remap either my right :apple: or enter key to a delete key, keymapper says it is mapped, but it isn't:(

Any ideas on how to get parallels to change the key? Would i have to change it from osx?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I have also wondered if I installed bootcamp (don't really want to if I can avoid it) and changed the windows keyboard mapping in that partition if it would carry over to parallels running from the bootcamp install?

Also as an aside... in vmware fusion, i canot change any settings, is this due to me having a trial license?

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
Well as there was no real answer to my issue I ended up getting the logitech s530 wireless desktop (kb + mouse) to use on my mbp when at home, this should hopefully do the trick.
Thanks for considering my situation if you did...

mdenteuling

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
It is a little a late reply. but i've been looking for this on the internet and came to this forum.

I do have an answer.. for people who like to know..

To change the backspace key to delete first go to

parallels
preferences
keyboard mouse
press the + and then add a new 'shortcut'
press the backspace button..and make this delete.

done! works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.