Change Location of Downloads Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willcodejavafor, Oct 15, 2009.

1. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just bought an external HD for my Mac Mini as my media plus downloads were filling up my internal HD. Is the location of the Downloads Folder (and Movies) something that can be configured somewhere? I still want it to show up in my home folder. Is it as easy as deleting the old one and creating an alias for a Downloads folder located on my external HD?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can most likely specify where your files get downloaded in whatever app your using's Preferences.

3. willcodejavafor thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite what I asked for though is it?

4. nparmelee macrumors 6502

The answer does answer your question unless you are asking something else. What are you downloading files from? In Safari you change the location of the Downloads folder in Preferences on the General screen. In Firefox its also in Preferences, but on the Main screen.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, I kind of see what you are asking, but it doesn't make sense.

It looks like you want to move the Downloads and/or Movies folder elsewhere, but you still want it to show up in your Home folder. It can't be two places at once, but you can have more than one folder called "Downloads" and "Movies" elsewhere on your machine as long as it's not in the same directory.